Which country has the best human rights record?

(8 Posts)
BaskingTurtle Tue 06-Aug-13 05:55:35

yellowraincoat, the important distinction here is that you said "in ways we aren't in the UK". As a foreigner, the ways in which you are sexist in the UK really stand out for me because I lived in Canada and Sweden and Holland before moving there. I suppose you get used to some things and you don't notice them in your own country. not being funny, but that's just natural. As for whether the criteria used here was valid, I would assume they are speaking of actual concrete numbers which can give an objective value to the degree of gender equality in each country.

BaskingTurtle Tue 06-Aug-13 05:48:06

imacleverclogs the section heading was called "secularism", but the question asked that put Turkey on top of this poll was whether religion is important to you, and only 44 countries were polled. Those with the lowest score for the question were considered the most secular. They also made the statement that USA is an anomaly in that 59% consider religion important to them, and that they were the only developed country scoring over 50.

lisa1717 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:21:52

I think the UK does pretty well in terms of human rights.

Having lived in France, Spain, Israel and the US (East and West coasts) I think we in the UK are far more "civilised" - sometimes to the detriment of legal tax-paying citizens... Certainly countries like Sweden are no longer as "nice" or as safe to live in as they were a few decades back. In fact you could say the same for all countries who have had uncontrolled immigration.

EclecticShock Wed 11-Jul-12 22:47:56

Why do the Scandinavian countries come out on top and do you think the UK could implement any of their policies?

yellowraincoat Wed 11-Jul-12 22:45:31

It's quite hard to say, isn't it?

It says there that Germany is fifth highest on gender equality, yet when I lived in Germany, I found people horribly sexist in ways we aren't in the UK.

ImaCleverClogs Wed 11-Jul-12 22:42:50

No surprise the Scandi countries come out top on many of these.

Interesting that Turkey comes out top on secularisation as they have some issues with regards to their human rights record don't they so its not exactly clear cut?

EclecticShock Thu 05-Jul-12 09:56:06
EclecticShock Wed 04-Jul-12 21:31:04

This link is interesting...

http://www.vexen.co.uk/countries/best.html#HDI

Anyone fancy discussing why?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now