how to clean a wicker picnic basket?

(10 Posts)
breaghsmum Sun 22-Feb-09 12:53:56

inherited it from my mother who had kept it on top of her kitchen cupboards for years so it has gathered alot of dust and just looks generally grubby, as does the fabric lining inside. i want to be able to use it. any suggestions what i can use to clean it with?

mehgalegs Sun 22-Feb-09 12:55:36

If the lining is very grubby is it worth replacing it? (says she of limited sewing skills!)

The wicker might clean with a soft brush and hoover, then maybe a wipe with a damp cloth.

breaghsmum Sun 22-Feb-09 13:00:04

i could probably remove the lining and wash it separately and try to replace it again, its not so grubby that id throw it out without attempting to clean it.

frumpygrumpy Sun 22-Feb-09 13:03:06

Hoover/wipe and then can you hang the basket outside? Fresh air does wonders for wicker (it can get smelly). The lining would be easy to replace and would maybe update it............I'm seeing fresh white with red polka dots <<fg comes over all Olivia Walton>>

breaghsmum Sun 22-Feb-09 13:13:23

yes hanging wouldnt be a problem. shall give it a go, thought it might have been a bigger task than that!! should only take five minutes now.

MrsWalton Sun 22-Feb-09 22:27:00

frumpy, that's funny, i was just thinking red and white gingham. So you were close.

LGoodLife Sun 22-Feb-09 22:29:48

Wicker can take scrub with a soft brush and warm soapy water, then dry slowly away from heat (says she who once went on basket making course) or is that basket-case course?

SoMuchToBits Sun 22-Feb-09 22:36:07

I would vacuum it using the brush attacment on your vacuum cleaner.

frumpygrumpy Mon 23-Feb-09 14:27:15

grin MrsWalton <<fg curtseys in hallowed company>>

Ourmom Mon 06-Jun-16 11:33:35

You should wash it first with soft brush and dry it.
See if its still look unfavourable, sand it with smooth sandpaper then wash it again and look the result,
if its quite good apply coating or recoloring spray or goods to finish it.

you check here for more info
www.aksanawork.com/#!Wicker-Rattan-Product-Caring/y086x/5750540b0cf245cf719d5ae3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now