URGENT! Off Milk smell in carpet getting worse...

(17 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 07:39:11

Sorry for another urgent blush

DDs bedroom absolutely stinks. It was fine last night, then I went in at about midnight to check on her and there was an odour, an almost sick odour but not sick. Then DH went in when she woke at about 3am, and no lie I could smell the stench from our bedroom across the hall.

Now, this morning it is vile. About 4 days ago DD spilt a glass of milk on the floor and I had cleaned it up. However I am guessing I must have missed a bit, hence the smell.

Problem is, the carpet is now dry and there is no stain, So I cannot see exactly where it was spilt to ensure I get it all this time.

I have used hot soapy water so far, but it still smells. The entire house smells blush.

How can I get rid of the smell? If the carpet is ruined, its not a huge problem as it is an old carpet needs replacing anyway and its a small enough room to get an remnant, but I would prefer not to pull it all up until I actually have carpet tp put down!

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 07:49:21

bump

filthymindedvixen Sun 07-Sep-08 07:51:22

oh I have had this...I basically had to go down on my hands and knees, nose to carpet,sniffing to find thae patch. Then I soaked it it lemon juice and bicarb of soda solution. Then when that was dry, bombed it with febreze...

And then I banned milk from bedrooms grin

colacubes Sun 07-Sep-08 07:51:48

Bi card is a brilliant deoderiser, but I would get down and smell where it is, clean it again, then dump tons of bi carb, it will soak up moisture and deoderise at the same time keep doing it till is gone. Or get it pulled up and buy new one, sometimes they are just ruined.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 07:57:17

Oh thank you, I had a feeling bicarb had something to do with it all, but did not want to put it down and then find out it was going to turn into soda bread or something grin. But I have no lemon juice...

I am glad you said it will soak up moisture cola as I have been worried about soaking the floor as that can smell too can't it?!

I might go have a look at a carpet shop this morning anyway, a good excuse to buy a new carpet.

But in the meantime I cannot cope with the smell so am off to grab the bicarb from the cupboard (luckily I have some!).

Thank you!

filthymindedvixen Sun 07-Sep-08 08:04:00

lemon juice is just another odour neutraliser - but if you have a fancy carpet, best not use anyway, as may lighten a tiny bit...

Bicarb rocks - i use t for so many things!

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 08:21:46

Scrubbed good and proper, covered with bicarb (and a bit of baking powder too as run out of plain bicarb...oh well, soda bread might not be so far away eh?!!), how long should I leave it?

Not a fancy carpet luckily, its an old one that has been here since we moved in, its done its job well, but is not glamorous!

We will not be doing fancy carpets while we have young children around!

watsthestory Sun 07-Sep-08 08:24:05

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Sun 07-Sep-08 08:24:37

The smell will actually disappear eventually (not that long either).

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 09:01:14

soup - my friend had a milk smell too, she could not find it, and it did go away, but took a few days.

I cannot cope with a few days! It is nose wrinkling/stomach churning!

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 16:38:09

Oh it has not worked sad.

I put two pots of bicarb down, just vacuumed it all up, and clogged my hoover in the process. I am not that bright blush grin. That is now soaking in the bath.

So, initially, with the bicarb down on the floor, the smell appeared less stenchy, and I thought the vague lingering of odour was due to being stuck in my nostrils.

But No. It is there, I just walked past newly open bedroom door and the waft hit me in the face like a smelly fish.

It is just gross. I don't know how DD can sleep in it tonight. Although I don't know how she slept in it last night to be honest but she did hmm.

New carpet tomorrow. I was going to look today but what with Tesco's messing up my order/being late, the vacuum needing cleaning and the cooker rings being put into soak before I realised I no soda crystals left and had to go get some, I did not have time.

I will have to febreeze it in the meantime

<goes off hoping she has some stashed in cupboard>

thecarpetcleaningguy Mon 03-Oct-16 09:02:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JinkxMonsoon Mon 03-Oct-16 09:07:55

I remember dropping a glass bottle of milk on the kitchen floor when I was a kid, and in those days there was a very thin pile carpet on the floor (I know, weird choice, but it was the 80s). The smell was unreal but it did dissipate eventually. Would biological washing powder work?

sonias27 Mon 03-Oct-16 09:10:47

I can totally empathize with you my DD spilt some milk on our carpet and then smell was awful. The only thing that helped was this carpet cleaner

Starbright10 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:55:36

You can hire a carpet cleaner from Homebase - £20/30 for 24 hours. Works a treat

AnthonyPandy Tue 04-Oct-16 22:03:25

It was 8 years ago, I think she's probably got a new carpet by now!

Starbright10 Tue 04-Oct-16 22:53:07

Ha! Rejuvenated by some cleaning guy touting for business probably!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now