Can you mix and match leather sofa/chairs

(24 Posts)
staryeyed Tue 24-Jun-08 14:23:32

Ive just bought a 3 seater dark brown sofa but could not afford to stretch to a matching chair. We may be able to afford it in future but for now it will have to wait. If we can not get hold of the matching chair I have thought about either trying to match it with a similar style which might me difficult or ignoring the style and matching the colour but Im worried that will look odd. DOes anyone have any suggestions?

hunkermunker Tue 24-Jun-08 14:25:24

Get a couple of Poangs from Ikea.

mindalina Tue 24-Jun-08 14:26:22

It could work if the colours match. Years ago my mum bought a green leather sofa but it was a display model and the last one or something like that, so there wasn't a matching chair. There was a chair in the same colour but a slightly different style so she bought that, and no-one ever noticed.

She had that sofa and chair 10 years before giving them to my DP when he moved out of his mum's - no-one noticed while he had it either!

As long as they are same colour and similar style I think it would be fine.

jumpingbeans Tue 24-Jun-08 14:30:53

I like different chairs and sofa's, with a 3 seater leather in brown, i have a couple cream winged chairs and a floral two seater, sounds a bit mish mash but looks great, well i think so, tie it all together with cushions ect

TheFallenMadonna Tue 24-Jun-08 14:32:29

I'm not keen on matching furniture TBH. Complementary, but not matching smile

mindalina Tue 24-Jun-08 15:03:27

Hunker I have just googled "Poang" shock

Are you serious?

hunkermunker Tue 24-Jun-08 15:05:14

Haha - yep. Sit on one - dead comfy. And look better than the pics on Google image search.

CountessDracula Tue 24-Jun-08 15:05:51

what TFM said
I hate matching furniture

CatIsSleepy Tue 24-Jun-08 15:07:39

ah why not
get something different
we have a red sofa and a brown leather armchair

beansmum Tue 24-Jun-08 15:08:23

Matching furniture is weird. It makes me feel very uncomfortable for some reason. I have a dark brown leather sofa, a dark orange/terracotta armchair, and a big footstool thing with a brown and orange floral pattern. The footstool is older than my mum and doesn't really go with anything else but I think it looks pretty good.

LavendersBlueDillyDilly Tue 24-Jun-08 15:08:43

It is esstenial NOT to mix and matchwink.

Seriously, much better to have not matching, choose a chair that's completly different, eg fabric with a pattern.

Big blousy florals are very in.

or stripes, Ilove stripes.

Or checks, I love checks.

or sometjing with texture, although I find food just acumulates in my 'texture'.

mindalina Tue 24-Jun-08 15:08:56

I'll have to take your word for it hmmwink

LavendersBlueDillyDilly Tue 24-Jun-08 15:09:33

Sorry sorry, essentual TO mix and match.

staryeyed Tue 24-Jun-08 16:47:04

So if I do this contrasting styles thing do I chose something that is similar in shape or something different ie quite a big squarish sofa with a small round chair iyswim?

Can someone link me to some chairs that might work with a dark brown leather sofa (I dont like floral designs).

EffiePerine Tue 24-Jun-08 16:54:47

Why not? I hate furniture 'suites'

EffiePerine Tue 24-Jun-08 16:55:24

Oh and I'd go for the most comfortable chair you can afford grin

OverYOURDeadBody Tue 24-Jun-08 16:58:45

furniture suites are a massive no no for me, ditto any matching furniture <shudder>.

Mix and match is so much nicer.

OverYOURDeadBody Tue 24-Jun-08 17:00:09

I've found almost anytinh works together really. Hmm, I don't know actually, I bet lots of things would match. I've never had to buy furniture, it's all inherited, so I'm envy, it sounds fun.

Walnutshell Tue 24-Jun-08 17:03:23

If you've inherited your furniture, doesn't that make you terribly posh? grin

staryeyed - does it have to be another leather item? I think fabric would be much more effective.

OverYOURDeadBody Tue 24-Jun-08 17:05:29

no walnutshell, it just makes my ancestors terribly posh!grin

Walnutshell Tue 24-Jun-08 17:12:13

well that's a bloody good start, overYOUR (scary name change btw), I'm more likely to inherit that Poang chair from IKEA.

OverYOURDeadBody Tue 24-Jun-08 18:06:28

It's my Gladiator name grin It's meant to be scary!

Walnutshell Tue 24-Jun-08 18:48:36

cool. not much you can do with a walnutshell to gladiate it up. smile

frodo123 Thu 26-May-16 20:47:33

Can you have a brown sofa and a navy blue sofa in leather in same room or will it look odd?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now