Help! Smelly carpet in bathroom!

(7 Posts)
thegreenmile Tue 22-Nov-16 09:25:10

I need help! I'm 9 months pregnant and recently came down with a horrible case of the flu. One night I was horribly sick and it seems that I managed to block the toilet in the besuited and cause it to flood the bathroom. We have only recently moved house and the bathroom has carpets. In the morning when I came to I tried to dry it best I could but i was honestly lacking the energy to do anymore than to try and soak it up with towels and turn the radiator on.
Skip forward a week and now the bathroom stinks. What's worse is that as it's an en suite you can sometimes smell it in the bedroom if the door is open.
Today I used an entire can of carpet cleaner on the floor and was on my hands and knees scrubbing it (not easy in my condition) then vacuumed that up two hours later. It's an improvement but you still can still catch a horrid whiff.
Has anyone ever found a way to fix this? In the long run I plan to rip it up and put tiles down anyway but I am not able to do that at this point with all my money and energy going into baby Help! Smelly carpet in bathroom!

80sWaistcoat Tue 22-Nov-16 09:29:14

I'd rip it up (or get someone else too) and get lino put down for the mean time. It'll be about £100-£150 - probably less if you buy it yourself and put it down - floor may need boarded too but you could skip this if temporary fix.

What you'll spend on carpet cleaners and air fresheners is going to add up anyway. And it'll be far easier to have lino with a baby - I would imagine.

[disclaimer - I'm biased and can't stand carpets in bathrooms]

ilovesprouts Tue 22-Nov-16 09:32:19

Get rid of the carpet and get some Lino I'd never have carpet in a bathroom.

ZoFloMoFo Tue 22-Nov-16 09:54:57

Rip the carpet out, scrub the floor and buy a couple of cheap bathroom mats to put in front of the sink and bath until you can afford to replace with whatever flooring you want.

Yes it'll look shit in the meantime until you get proper flooring, but as it's your ensuite then there only you that'll see it.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 22-Nov-16 10:51:52

Get rid of the carpet and put Lino down. Ask th landlord first of course but this should not be a problem!

HIJK11 Tue 22-Nov-16 10:52:08

I agree with others get rid of the carpet asap and replace it with some lino This will help get rid of the smell once and for all and it will be all the better for you as your pregnant as well.

CocktailQueen Tue 22-Nov-16 10:53:20

Agree with the others! Carpet in bathroom is dusgusting, anyway - think of all the wee drips {boak}.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now