Ottoman beds

(11 Posts)
MrsWembley Sat 19-Nov-16 20:31:02

Opinions please!

I see them as slightly odd (only just been introduced to them by DP) and always assumed drawers in a divan would be the most beneficial storage idea.

Surely the duvet will go flying every time it lifts up?

LondonCharlady Sat 19-Nov-16 20:56:57

The beds have two straps which you secure when you have made the bed. They keep the duvet in place. At least, all the ones I've seen do that (I'm a cleaner).

firsttimemum15 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:58:26

Mine doesnt have straps duvet doesnt move ots really no problem chose otterman over drawers as i can fit more in

LondonCharlady Sat 19-Nov-16 21:00:07

Regarding the storage question, I think it depends on the size of the room. If a double bed takes up all the space in a studio flat, it's great if you can get rid of the bed during the day. If you have a larger room but lots of stuff, maybe the drawers in the bed would be the better option.

goingtotown Sun 20-Nov-16 22:32:04

The duvet doesn't move. I just lift the top a few inches, then it just glides open.My bed is end opening, they also come in side opening.

Artandco Sun 20-Nov-16 22:35:01

You usually store stuff in there you don't use daily also so it's not up and down. Our contains ski stuff, Xmas tree decorations and that kind of stuff that just comes in and out once a year

hanban89 Sun 20-Nov-16 23:04:13

There's loads more storage in an ottoman. I love mine. The duvet and pillows don't move. There are different kinds of ottoman. Ours has a solid base (I've seen some that just have fabric bottoms) and opens from the side rather than the bottom end of bed, which makes it much easier to reach in and get stuff out.

Sgtmajormummy Sun 20-Nov-16 23:33:26

Ours is end opening and has feet about 6cm high.
Bloody PITA because the gap is too small for the vacuum cleaner, so I end up doing a blind swipe with a broom or lying face down to see the bits I've missed.confused Next time I'll get one that sits on the floor.
However it holds more than drawers would and you don't need space either side to pull them out.

shhhgobacktosleep Sun 20-Nov-16 23:45:22

We have 2 - one end opening, the other is side opening. The location of your bed in the room should be the deciding factor as to which is best. I've lifted mine with piles of clothes on top during a sort out and somehow magically nothing moves. I think the pp mentioning straps is thinking of fold away beds not ottomans.

nonsensicaltruth Mon 21-Nov-16 06:58:39

Mines got straps that hold the duvet down when lifting it up. It's got a great amount of storage space so it's ideal for me. Which one are you thinking of getting? I've got this Ottoman bed

MrsWembley Mon 21-Nov-16 19:50:25

Thanks allsmile Useful things to think about. The purchase will be a couple of months off (got to buy the house first grin), but DP has started planning.

Of course, when I start talking about things for the new house, I'm told to stop getting excited coz it might all fall through! But that's a whole other thread...hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now