damp mold mildew how to clean?

(9 Posts)
jackiegoins Sat 19-Nov-16 14:30:36

hi - im renting a house and this year the damp is coming through the wall of our bedroom from outside and causing loads of mold and mildew across the walls (covered in textured paper), the ceiling and the uPVC windows too. Theres also some on the carpets too.

Whats the best way to clean these different surfaces? Need to get it clean asap as i have a baby coming any day now and husband is severly asthmatic and its been worse lately and until last night didn't know why.

This is just what I don't need right now! Any advice would be excellent thank!!!

dementedpixie Sat 19-Nov-16 14:33:02

You need to tackle the underlying cause or it will just keep coming back. Has the guttering/roof, etc been checked?

DeviTheGaelet Sat 19-Nov-16 14:33:56

Dettol mould and mildew remover on curtain backs, windowsills, tiles and walls if the wallpaper is white.
I would steam cleaning the carpet to kill the spores probably.
Maybe buy a dehumidifier
Really you need to talk to the LL as it could be a structural issue and cosmetic treatment of the mould won't stop it coming back

girlwithamoonandstaronherhead Sat 19-Nov-16 14:35:29

Poor you! The only think that I've found will clean mould stains is bleach. I have to do our bathroom ceiling every couple of months. That's ok if your surfaces are white! No idea what you can do with the carpet, though. If it's in an area you can't see then just clean or with a household cleaner. The stain may remain but that won't actually do any harm. Hopefully someone might have some better ideas!

ijustwannadance Sat 19-Nov-16 14:38:07

Milton sterilising liquid works well too but, as suggested above, you need to tell LL to sort and stop the cause of it.

thinkbig52 Sat 19-Nov-16 16:24:25

use HG mould cleaner on the mould as a start, but you really need to take this issue up with the landlord as it could be more serious then you think.

specialsubject Sat 19-Nov-16 16:56:33

this is a building problem. Tell the landlord that unless something is done quickly, you will be reporting to environmental health.

Cataline Sat 19-Nov-16 17:00:33

Astonish mould and mildew remover is really excellent but just a short term fix.

wowwee123 Sat 19-Nov-16 17:05:10

second the hg mould cleaner.

have the windows in the latch throughout the day.

report to landlord.

if you have or can borrow a dehumidifier it may help a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now