Food shopping weekly spend

(9 Posts)
Princesspinkgirl Fri 11-Nov-16 15:44:06

Hi all I was wondering how much you all spend on your food shop a week and for how many at the moment it's just Me and my DP and end up spending £60 a week partner does have a crate of beer included in this which is on average £13 but I'm looking at ways to cut our shop down as I think it's expensive it does include things like washing powder if that makes any difference so please share ur tips

ThatGingerOne Fri 11-Nov-16 16:21:48

I am a student. I live by the rule ''own brand is just as good''. And it is.

Go to the shop a little later so you can get the marked down meat and fruit/veg. See if there is another type of beer he likes that is cheaper. Remember bargains aren't what they seem - just because its 4for3 etc doesn't mean its a good deal if you only need 1!

Look at the top and bottom shelves, they keep the more expensive stuff right in the middle at eye level.

The best thing I found was to always write a list and be brutally honest. If you know you're going to pick up a pack of chocolate bars as a treat, write it on the list! It helped me realise how much I was spending before I even got to the shop.
Another way I did this was to go online and do a food shop on there (but not order it) - the price is added for you including any deals so you can see how much you will be spending when you go to buy it in real life! smile

Mcchickenbb41 Fri 11-Nov-16 19:17:15

If I write a list it really helps to budget. Iv also found shopping online good for this as you can check as you go. Iv been shopping tonight to tesco. I spent £130. That's for two adults and two children. T sounds a lot and I probably could have cut it a bit but that does including everything for packed lunches for two people and I won't need to go again mid week. Now that's where the money goes. If i used to nip to a supermarket midweek for milk I could easily spent £50 shock I really should try an aldi shop. Everyone swears by them

mumofthreesmallmen3 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:28:09

Weekly shop for 5 of us kids 7 4 and 1 is around 70 but we also spend a little in the week topping up maybe around 15 pounds, try buying a larger meat etc and making 2/3 meals out of it you could buy a larger mince and make a shepherds pie and use the rest for a bolognaise etc

AmyInTheBoonies Mon 21-Nov-16 19:36:33

Two adults and one kid is usually £100. We don't buy anything else except pet food - no buying drinks/snacks or coffees out and about etc.

PleaseGetOffTheTableDarling Mon 21-Nov-16 19:46:43

Two adults, two children aged 3 and 1. We have a budget of £80 per week for all groceries including food, toiletries, cleaning products, baby stuff, alcohol and coffees out.
I keep to it by having absolutely no brand loyalty, cooking from scratch and only eating meat a couple of times a week.

Trinpy Mon 21-Nov-16 20:11:41

Two adults and 2 dcs (toddler and a baby). We spend £60 on the weekly shop and around £50 on top up shops through the week. I really don't think we could get it any cheaper without massively compromising on lifestyle and being thoroughly miserable with it!

We keep the costs down by doing online shopping, meal planning, eating vegetarian meals for 50% of our dinners and buying basics in Lidl.

There are many on mn who can feed 6 on £20 a week though wink.

Oly5 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:17:48

Oh dear, £150 a week here for two adults and two toddlers. Happy to spend on food and could spend less. But your shop sounds like a bargain!

blondiebonce Mon 21-Nov-16 20:27:55

Just me and toddler- aim for £25 a week and sometimes go a few quid above or below.
I buy reduced bread and freeze it then toast when needed, cook lots from scratch, reduced meat popped in the freezer, left over vegetables made into soup, bulk buy on good offers, write a list, check offers online to plan meals way ahead, make a meal plan, bulk out meat dishes with veg I.e. Onions, peppers, grated carrots in a spag Bol.

Hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now