Uses for WD40

(12 Posts)
SuePerkins Wed 09-Nov-16 09:19:13

One of my favourite household products after the holy Zoflora is WD40, and I wondered if anyone had found any uses for it that I don't know about yet?
Aside from the obvious use of oiling squeaky/creaky things, I use it to remove sticky stuff like the labels on glass jars after they've been soaked, and removing pen marks from tables, woodwork etc. Also slugs don't seem to like it and it seems to have stopped them coming in to my cellar through the air grate!

Gingernaut Wed 09-Nov-16 09:20:55

Cleaning the plastic margin on the shower screen.

I take it off, dry and clean it and a little WD40 lets it slide back on beautifully.

Ifailed Wed 09-Nov-16 09:24:03

WD40 is basically lighter fluid (the stuff used in a zippo). so for tasks like removing labels etc, just use the lighter fuel as its a lot cheaper in my experience.

wooooofudge Wed 09-Nov-16 10:05:06

Removing wax from various things - e.g. crayon from walls and candle wax from surfaces.

Mcchickenbb41 Fri 11-Nov-16 19:20:44

Apparently it's also good for removing sealants ( mastic )

Mcchickenbb41 Fri 11-Nov-16 19:22:09

Woooofudge didn't know it got crayons of walls. Will remember that, managed to remove dd work of art yesterday with a magic sponge

mumonashoestring Fri 11-Nov-16 19:24:47

It is good for removing sealants - if you need to reseal your bath or shower tray or similar it does a lovely job of softening up the old stuff so you can remove it.

It lubricates stuck zips, helps separate glasses that have stuck together while stacked in the cupboard, and if your hands are really greasy/oily it does a grand job of degreasing them so that you can wash them properly.

adagio Fri 11-Nov-16 19:29:35

Use it on keys before putting in the lock and all over double glazed window hinges; use sparingly on stainless steel (brushed) to clean and shine. Use it on anything you don't want to rust e.g. Garden tools, axe, spanners etc. Use it on the pushchair - wheels off, spray then back on.

snozzlemaid Fri 11-Nov-16 19:35:51

Here's 2000 for you wd40.com/img/WD-40_2000_uses.pdf

wooooofudge Fri 11-Nov-16 22:34:29

I'd be a bit concerned it may leave a greasy mark on some surfaces like wallpaper if used to remove crayon. I've successfully used toothpaste to get crayon off painted wallpaper using an old toothbrush and it worked brilliantly leaving no marks. You do have to wipe with a damp cloth once the crayon has gone.

Hastalapasta Fri 11-Nov-16 22:36:40

Used it to seal the hearth stone, lasts for ages and makes it easy to clean.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 11-Nov-16 22:39:59

It helps preserve pumpkins carved for Halloween.

a tip I knew and my neighbour did not, he has never forgiven me for the fact that my pumpkins outlived his by a fortnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now