Best Bleach

(10 Posts)
OdinsLoveChild Mon 07-Nov-16 11:57:43

This morning I have applied bleach to the window sills as the creases are looking a bit black/mouldy with the windows being shut more often now its too cold to have them open all day.

Normally after 15-20 minutes they're white. This time its been on for almost an hour and its still black.

Which is the best bleach for this? I've always used the thick bleach from home bargains but would I be better off trying domestos or something else like a specific mould remover ?

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 07-Nov-16 13:25:50

Hi I know bleach should work but you could try sugar soap spray or wipes ?

shovetheholly Mon 07-Nov-16 14:56:26

I think a dedicated mould spray with fungicide and bleach is better than bleach alone. Check out things like 'Blitz that mould'.

wooooofudge Mon 07-Nov-16 21:56:11

Once mould gets into the silicone, the only way to get rid of it is to dig out and replace the silicone.

SpookyMooky Tue 08-Nov-16 01:06:10

We did this in chemistry once and found own brand thin stuff was the strongest. The "clingability" of the thicker stuff does help the function though.

Has your bleach been sitting around for a while? Looks like it degrades over time, maybe the HB stuff is old stock?

Bicarb and bleach mixed into a paste is the only thing that's ever vaguely worked on silicone here.

CondensedMilkSarnies Tue 08-Nov-16 01:21:08

I lay lengths of twisted loo roll along the silicone around the bath and along the window sill creases , then I soak the loo roll with bleach and leave it overnight - it gets rid of the black mould and brightens the silicone .

e1y1 Tue 08-Nov-16 05:55:57

Bleach should be all pretty much be the same, what you can do when buying it, is look on the back for the Sodium Hypochlorite (active ingredient of bleach) content per 100g of product.

I always check this, and know a few off pat blush.

Domestos is 4.5g (SH)/100g (product)
Tesco's is 4.6g/100g
Lidl's is 4.8g/100g.

One thing though that a lot of people may not know, is cleaning products DO have a shelf life, and DO expire (as in not that they will be "bad" as such, but they won't be as effective).

With Bleach, neat in the bottle, it is 6 months from manufacture (9months tops).

So don't stockpile bleach, it is quite cheap anyway (even domestos is never usually over £1.50 a bottle) - it's one of the best products to buy fresh weekly/monthly etc.

If you have made a bleach solution with water - it will last for 12 hours and after that will not be effective.

You could try bleach and bicard mixed into a thick paste, and spread that along the silicone and leave to soak. But usually, best option is to remove silicone and reseal.

e1y1 Tue 08-Nov-16 05:57:05

*bicarb, not bicard

OdinsLoveChild Tue 08-Nov-16 11:37:33

I only do it once a month because I'm lazy as its one of those jobs I have to fit in around everything else and its invisible to DH it seems hmm

I will try the bleach/bicarb mix and see if that gets it otherwise it will be new silicone I think.

goalesh Tue 08-Nov-16 13:10:57

Instead of applying bleach your better off trying a mould cleaner and spray that on the window sills, that will be much more effective then using bleach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now