How often do you polish shoes?

(16 Posts)
aliceinapalace Sun 06-Nov-16 19:52:18

Sorry for boring topic but I wondered how often it needs to be done? I'm polishing dd school shoes weekly and my favourite brown boots which are scuffed but wearable if polished. Mentioned this to a friend and they looked at me as if I was strange and said they had yet to polish their D's school shoes. Am I just making myself work???

Randytortoise Sun 06-Nov-16 19:53:52

Ummmm you're supposed to polish shoes?? I just thought it was something dh did before a funeral to his shoes blush

Mumonthesofa Sun 06-Nov-16 19:58:10

Never. But my dad used to do the whole family's every Sunday night.

BackforGood Sun 06-Nov-16 20:00:06

About once a year.
They are very different from when I was growing up.

Crispsheets Sun 06-Nov-16 20:00:49

I polish mine regularly.

CheerfullyIndifferent Sun 06-Nov-16 20:05:23

DD's current school shoes are patent so I just give it a clean, but when they're leather I polish them every weekend. Mine, when I think they need it.

aliceinapalace Sun 06-Nov-16 20:11:48

Seems to be a mix then! My mum used to clean ours weekly and said it made them last... school shoes are so expensive i want to get the most from them

goalesh Mon 07-Nov-16 07:50:24

I polish mine regularly using this shoe polish kit. Am a bit of clean freak when it comes to my shoes so i take great pride in cleaning them lol.

megletthesecond Mon 07-Nov-16 07:54:48

A couple of times a year. I just baby wipe the dirt off. They grow out of them in a few months so I'm not bothered about fiddling around with polish every weekend like my parents did.

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 07-Nov-16 13:20:04

I'm currently a sahm so get to live in my vans but dd school she's get polished on a Sunday.

Thatwaslulu Mon 07-Nov-16 13:22:16

My DS polishes his school shoes and cadet boots every time he has worn them (so daily for the shoes, twice a week for the boots). He is very ritualistic about it though and gets really competitive with his fellow cadets and his dad about who has the shiniest toes. I benefit because if I want my shoes doing I know where to go!

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 07-Nov-16 13:47:09

Funny enough dh was saying about how he learnt to do his shoes in cadets only last night. Was explaining to dd and spit and polish

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 07-Nov-16 13:47:35

*about

Ilovewillow Mon 07-Nov-16 13:56:58

Maybe it's my age but I can't abide scruffy shoes so at least once at week for school shoes unless they are muddy etc in between then a wet wipe! My own shoes less but my tree climbing muddy puddle days are few and far between!

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:01:03

I hate scuffed shoes. As a teenager I used to keep a she cleaning sponge in my school bag. I was probably odd grin

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:01:46

Omg shoe shoe bloody predictive tx !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now