How to get melted toffee blobs off the sofa... and my jeans...?! (Pics)

(14 Posts)
Mamushka Fri 04-Nov-16 17:22:13

I just sat on my arse for 2 hours eating snacks while DS was napping. Went to stand up and my butt was glued to the sofa. Turns out I was sat on a toffee for 2 hours. Oops blush

I've scraped the big lumps off the sofa with a knife but now it's just the stuff that's sort of melted into the fabric. And the blobs on my jeans blush They're not expensive jeans but they're maternity jeans which can be hard to come by so I don't want to say goodbye to them!

Any ideas for toffee blob removal?!

Flisspaps Fri 04-Nov-16 17:27:17

Can you warm it with a hairdryer and then scrape it off when it's gluey?

NoelHeadbands Fri 04-Nov-16 17:31:13

I think you're screwed with the sofa sorry

Mamushka Fri 04-Nov-16 17:32:43

The sofa covers zip on/off and are machine washable - could that work do you think?

Seeline Fri 04-Nov-16 17:36:54

With chewing gum you're supposed to put it in the freezer and then it sort of cracks off - might be worth a go?
Or the extreme heat method to melt it.

I would've thought the jeans would be OK in the wash.

TheTantrumCometh Fri 04-Nov-16 17:41:44

I think heat would just turn it into sticky goop and make it harder to come off. I second the freezer. At least as a first try

mypropertea Fri 04-Nov-16 19:19:14

Water. Sugar is water soluble.

Allalonenow Fri 04-Nov-16 19:26:16

Warm wash should work for both, sugar should dissolve. You might be left with a stain from any fat content, if so rewash with bio stain remover. Don't use a hot wash in case it "sets" any grease.

MessezFaire Fri 04-Nov-16 19:30:20

I would try folding an old tea towel/towel over and placing it over the stain and ironing gently to try to melt as much toffee into the towel instead. Then give it a good scrub with stain remover

OutnumberedbyFurchesters Fri 04-Nov-16 19:35:06

Not entirely the same, but I did similar with a flapjack! (and then unawares did my big shop and thought people were just arseholes looking at me funny!)

A hot wash was all that was needed, popped a bit of vanish in the wash too just to make sure.

lougle Fri 04-Nov-16 19:37:03

Yes to warm water - it will dissolve all the sugars. A bit of Fairy liquid will get rid of any grease.

Mamushka Fri 04-Nov-16 19:43:54

Thanks, I'll stick the jeans and sofa cover on a warm wash tomorrow and hope for the best! smile

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 04-Nov-16 19:44:01

Ha ha this reminds me of the time I emerged into the light from the cinema and realised I had melted chocolate smeared all over my thighs blush

Nice bum if that's any consolation grin

Ice cube it and scrape it with a knife?

goalesh Mon 07-Nov-16 08:03:41

As you've already scraped off the big bits, give Dr.Beckmann stain remover a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now