Really greasy matt wall tiles in kitchen

(14 Posts)
WhirlwindHugs Mon 31-Oct-16 09:40:28

Help - have been trying various kitchen anti-grease type sprays for ages but they don't seem to do anything more than take the top layer of grease off - eventually the sponge will seem clean after lots of scrubbing but the tiles are still sticky.

Any ideas?

FrogFairy Mon 31-Oct-16 09:56:47

Sugar soap is good stuff.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 31-Oct-16 09:57:30

Cream cleaner, Cif I think it's called.

WhirlwindHugs Mon 31-Oct-16 11:01:15

Thanks! I'll add those to my to try list.

PawWavingCat Mon 31-Oct-16 11:05:30

Forget all that cilit bang degreaser stuff - get yourself a box of sugar soap: much cheaper, does a better job and doesn't have an awful chemical smell. I use it in the kitchen and it's great without being abrasive.

OCSockOrphanage Mon 31-Oct-16 16:20:26

Second sugar soap, or ammonia if you can face the fumes, but you will need rubber gloves and all the windows opened wide.

getitdone Tue 01-Nov-16 16:11:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

shovetheholly Wed 02-Nov-16 08:43:18

You can buy heavy duty tile cleaner in Homebase. It did really lift layers of grime off my kitchen floor (was an ex-rental house when we bought it). I don't know if it's any better than sugar soap or ammonia, though, both of which are cheaper.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Wed 02-Nov-16 08:44:41

Try mixing vanish powder with some warm water as a spray - works wonders on kitchen grease. Really.

previously1474907171 Thu 03-Nov-16 23:08:29

I second sugar soap, white vinegar or a soda crystals spray, not all together.

robynss Fri 04-Nov-16 08:35:08

I use HG grease away for getting rid of grease stains. It's a really strong smelling spray so make sure you have your windows open.

Rockingaround Mon 07-Nov-16 08:26:04

I love bar keepers friend for tiles and my ceramic sink - it gets scratched if you out anything in it hmm - it's a powder which doesn't smell but I think it must act like an exfoliant. You don't need much, It forms a paste on the sponge, I then scrub it it, then a wet cloth to rinse, then dry cloth to buff, it works for corian worktops too.

WhirlwindHugs Fri 11-Nov-16 17:51:46

Thanks for all the advice everyone, got most if it off with cif and the rest with sugar soap.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 11-Nov-16 18:05:40

Astonish paste is good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now