Urgent help required- drastic domestic fail

(78 Posts)
Mymothersdaughter Sun 30-Oct-16 14:37:49

Please can someone help!

I forgot to wash up a pot and I have a mould-splosion

Can anyone give me tips for how I'd even start going about restoring this pot!

Warning- graphic image below blushconfusedshock

Buscake Sun 30-Oct-16 14:39:38

Is this a favourite pot? I might be inclined to chuck it to be honest blush

OhFuds Sun 30-Oct-16 14:40:36

I'd be binning it too!

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 30-Oct-16 14:40:47

Nice! I think I would scrape it all out then wash up as normal in hot water then see what I've got and go from there to see if it is a sanitise job in which case just washing up liquid and very hot water or the dishwasher if that is an option or if there is a layer of grime to be removed in which came simmer with soda crystals and then wash or make a paste of bicarbonate and scrub.

titchy Sun 30-Oct-16 14:41:36

Why can't you just scrape the mould out and wash it? confused

rosesandcashmere Sun 30-Oct-16 14:41:42

Is there an emotional attachment to that pot? I would absolutely bin it. If not, glove up, carefully scrape off what you can and in then soak it in bleach. I couldn't though, sorry

Trinpy Sun 30-Oct-16 14:42:53

Where was it hiding all this time and for how long?

I would bin it. But I'm lazy

lljkk Sun 30-Oct-16 14:43:19

old sponge, scrub off the yuck, see what remains & assess.
stop being wimps, baby nappies can be far worse.

Beatsretreats Sun 30-Oct-16 14:43:50

Scrape it out and wash it up as normal. Would probably give it an extra rinse with hot water.

Who on earth are you people who would throw it out?!

EdgarAllanHo Sun 30-Oct-16 14:45:51

I'd just bin it.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 30-Oct-16 14:45:57

The chucklers are wimps. Or made of money, looks like a cast iron pot from the picture!

Mymothersdaughter Sun 30-Oct-16 14:46:03

Haha thanks for the replies!

Don't want to bin it as it cost a bloody fortune, it's a proper cast iron pan confused

It's been on the hob with the lid on, didn't realise it was still full of curry then opened it today and was shocked!

blush feeling rather daft now!

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 30-Oct-16 14:46:10

I would take it out in the yard and aim the hose at it to get rid of the mould and gunk then level it to steep in some bubbly hot water. Then clean as best I can with a sponge then bung in the dishwasher by itself.

Mymothersdaughter Sun 30-Oct-16 14:48:00

Live update

LunaLoveg00d Sun 30-Oct-16 14:48:10

Scrape out as much as you can into the bin. Fill with boiling water, washing up liquid and bleach and leave for a few hours. Scrub. Repeat.

SeasonalVag Sun 30-Oct-16 14:48:36

Don't do anything in terms of water before you dowse in bleach, flash or something pretty hard. Leave it a few hours THEB steep in hot water. Then rinse out and wash as normal.

Mymothersdaughter Sun 30-Oct-16 14:49:09

Just found the curry

Mymothersdaughter Sun 30-Oct-16 14:49:35

Just found the curry

pklme Sun 30-Oct-16 14:49:35

No need for panic! Use a spatula to scrape it into a bin, and put bin straight outside. Wash with hot soapy water. If it still has some dried food, leave it in water for a while before washing agin. It's really not that bad- the world is full of mould, that's just a particularly concentrated example.

PolterGoose Sun 30-Oct-16 14:49:41

I would take it outside, don rubber gloves and scrape the remains onto newspaper with a fish slice. Have a sink full of hot soapy water ready and then put pot and utensil in it and leave to soak for a bit. It'll be fine.

Mymothersdaughter Sun 30-Oct-16 14:50:16

Think I've made it worse confused

TheWoodlander Sun 30-Oct-16 14:50:25

I've done this OP blush

Use a butter knife to scrape the mould into the bin, then put it in the sink with a load of hot soapy water (preferably from the kettle) - scrub. Do that a couple of times, it'll be grand.

usual Sun 30-Oct-16 14:50:35

I'd scrape out the mould then fill with hot water and bio washing powder and leave it to soak.

pklme Sun 30-Oct-16 14:51:02

Not down the drain!!! No solids down drains! Scrape into the bin!

WhisperingLoudly Sun 30-Oct-16 14:51:36

Regardless of cost there is no way I could ever eat anything from that pot knowing what had been in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now