What's eating my carpet? Pic included

(10 Posts)
PassThePeanutButter Sat 29-Oct-16 13:14:44

The brown stuff (which I initially thought was damp- it's a very old cottage) flakes away easily. It's behind the sofa so it's a dark area here. Carpet has been in for two years.

welshweasel Sat 29-Oct-16 13:15:54

Carpet moths. Complete bugger to get rid of. I ended up getting rid of all the carpet in my flat and putting laminate down instead as couldn't get rid of them.

PassThePeanutButter Sat 29-Oct-16 13:35:59

Oh no! That doesn't sound good at all!

Are carpet moths the same as any wool-eating moth?

A few years ago (in a different house) we had a flee problem and I sprayed Indoorex throughout, which got rid of any living insect (to my surprise) so I might give this a go. Are carpet moths - or larvae? - visible to the naked eye? I can't see any little critters.

homeaway Sat 29-Oct-16 20:07:52

Larvae are easy to spot, you need to find the original source if you can. Have you noticed any moths flying around ?

m0therofdragons Sat 29-Oct-16 20:09:56

Hoover, steam clean it, spray with lavender carpet moth deterrent from Lakeland. We have to do this annually.

m0therofdragons Sat 29-Oct-16 20:11:55

Larvae are in little paper-like sacks so just look like a bit of tissue. Eggs tend to be same colour as the carpet ime

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 29-Oct-16 20:14:10

Carpet moths nightmare

Mishaps Sat 29-Oct-16 20:22:38

Could be carpet beetle - their grubs cause the same sort of damage. We had these - had to get someone in from the council to do the business.

evilharpy Sat 29-Oct-16 20:27:10

Yes carpet moths. We've just lost the carpet in two bedrooms to these buggers and haven't replaced it yet as we're not sure they've gone. Evil little shits.

ChishandFips33 Sat 29-Oct-16 21:38:08

Evil little shits
My sentiments exactly!
That photo could have been from my phone!

Our carpets are now in the bin and our new ones are on order - wool ones ordered before we found the little buggers - I am beside myself to think we may lay them just to get eaten.

I have yet to find the source - next step for us is to lift the boards to see if anything is under them - also an old house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now