Fruit flys ?

(5 Posts)
Mcchickenbb41 Wed 26-Oct-16 08:03:26

For some reason I have these tiny little slow flying flys in the house ATM. Iv never had them before even in summer. I think they are fruit flies however there is no rotting fruit or veg in the house or anything for that matter. The house is clean ! Dh thinks they will disappear once we get a frost but I can't understand why we have them. Iv pulled the cooker out and cleaned down the sides of appliances and gave rest of kitchen a good clean. Don't leave food out but there was a glass of rose in the dining room last night with about 6 of these damn things hanging around it. Anyone got any ideas how to get rid ??

quicklydecides Wed 26-Oct-16 08:06:45

I have them so I'm hoping everyone doesn't pile on to say they are a sign of bad home hygiene!
I leave a trap which works wonderfully; a glass of cider vinegar, with cling film covering the glass, but with a couple of small holes punched in the cling film. They are drawn to the vinegar, manage to fly in the holes and get trapped and die.
They are creepy little buggers aren't they...

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 26-Oct-16 08:09:58

Thanks quickly. They make me feel dirty and itchy. I'm going to try what you've suggested but what worries me is where they are coming from. Please don't worry I'm sure it's not poor housekeeping ( I hope ) there's not a lot I'm good at but I do keep on top of house work

efeslight Wed 26-Oct-16 08:13:08

Often they are brought in with new house plants and live in the soil, and replacing the soil helps. Have you got any new house plants that might be responsible?

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 26-Oct-16 09:23:34

Hi efeslight. No, no house plants but you've given me an idea. Dd put some gardening gloves under the kitchen sink in a plastic bag. She doesn't like leaving them in the shed Incase spiders crawl in them. I'll investigate further ........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now