Dishwasher - gritty glasses

(12 Posts)
HexBramble Sun 09-Oct-16 08:20:21

My dishwasher is driving me mad. It's about 9 years old but I maintain it carefully. I flush it out often, take the blades out to flush, clean filter and remove build up regularly. I top up salt regularly too.

So why is it that my glasses are still gritty??!!! On the odd occasion that I overfill it, I understand the grittiness, but I rarely overfill it and they're still NOT WASHED PROPERLY angry

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 09-Oct-16 08:25:14

Are you using rinse aid? Do you do a monthly empty hot wash with a specific cleaner? Do you wash on a hit cycle?

Artandco Sun 09-Oct-16 08:30:20

Lack of dishwasher salt

littleblackdress26 Sun 09-Oct-16 08:34:44

I have this it's so frustrating someone on my thread suggested making sure the pipes aren't twisted . mine are fine and it still happens sad

HexBramble Sun 09-Oct-16 08:42:35

Doing everything PP's suggested.
It's very frustrating.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 09-Oct-16 11:36:01

Do you fill up the salt enough? I'm amazed at how much you need to put in.

Radost1 Sun 09-Oct-16 17:09:14

Try with Finish diswasher cleaner, after that clean it deeply, fill salt and tadaaah the glasses will be fine smile

GeorgeTheThird Sun 09-Oct-16 17:15:16

Is it from potato?

AskBasil Sun 09-Oct-16 17:27:43

Have you double-checked that it's at the correct setting for your water-hardness?

sonias27 Mon 10-Oct-16 08:21:32

Have you deep cleaned your dishwasher recently? If not then i would recommend using dr.beckmann deep service wash that should help!

Lulooo Mon 10-Oct-16 08:31:56

I had this problem, OP. Not just glasses but other dishes were left with a little bit of grit dried on to them which meant I had to scrub it all off. I tried a dishwasher clean, salt, rinse aid etc but after a few washes it would start again. Then I switched tablets from Finish to Fairy and that seemed to solve it. Not sure why and what happened but it worked.
The finish tablets were the ones in a wrapper and the Fairy ones were the wrapperless, fully soluble pouch ones.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 10-Oct-16 08:35:25

I've had this recently, did everything you've just mentioned. Cleaned the arms and filter, added rinse aid, topped up salt and used a cleaner. It still happened, it was driving me mad!

Had a look inside and there was muck caught up in the top corners which I assume is coming away in bits with every use. Quick scrub with a dish brush and voila, clean dishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now