Gas and electric meters

(20 Posts)
Kel1234 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:51:53

I am a full time student, living in what is considered a student house, with my husband and our 1 year old.
We have pre payment meters for gas and electricity. The idea being when they run low we let the landlord know and he will top it up.
He put £100 in each when we first moved in, this was the beginning of July. The electric run out early September, and there is still about half left on the gas.
My question is, how long would you expect £100 to last on the electric? It's a decent size house. Not massive but not tiny. A living room and dining room downstairs, and the kitchen which is a perfect square shape. Upstairs there is 2 bedrooms, a small room with toilet, sink and bath, and a much larger room with toilet, sink and walk in shower. Finally there is a loft conversion which acts as a third bedroom.
We have central heating and a gas/ electric cooker
We have topped the electric up ourselves a few times, because we wasn't sure how long the landlord would expect that £100 to last.
Also, what about the gas? We will be putting the heating on now winter is coming.

EssentialHummus Tue 27-Sep-16 18:59:31

We spent about £80 p/m on both together during the winter months. It's easy more expensive than normal gas/elec. Why the weird arrangements? Surely it's easier for LL to charge you less and for you to top up yourself?

EssentialHummus Tue 27-Sep-16 18:59:51

Easy - way

Kel1234 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:10:06

I agree. It is annoying. So you'd say £100 over 2 months isn't a lot then?

EssentialHummus Tue 27-Sep-16 20:19:27

No, that sounds fine for me for august and September. If it's within your scope, worth shopping around for providers - prices vary as they do with "normal" meters.

Kel1234 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:37:03

I'm afraid I can't do that. It's a student house, so we have to stick to what the landlord provides.
And I mean we are not wasteful. Meaning we turn lights off when rooms are not being used, we don't leave lights on when we go out. That kind of thing.

irie Tue 27-Sep-16 21:47:29

I'm in a 2 up 2 down and spend 20 a week on each so you've done well!

PortiaCastis Tue 27-Sep-16 22:01:16

I've got pre payment and have just changed over to economy energy so far theyve been quite good as they dont have a standing charge on electricity
Have a look

www.economyenergy.co.uk

Akire Tue 27-Sep-16 22:04:04

Is the gas and electric part of your rent? Seems strange that landlord is paying for it?

Kel1234 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:12:33

Yes all bills are included in our rent.

Akire Tue 27-Sep-16 22:18:33

In that case I'd contact him everytime it needs topping up. Not sure why you would have paid again to top up. Sounds like you are sensible and not leaving lights heating all on when you are out for the day so he can't moan.

Kel1234 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:28:29

Because like I said, I wasn't sure if £100 over 2 months was excessive or not. But surely he can't moan about that?

RedMapleLeaf Wed 28-Sep-16 16:49:35

If bills are included, how much you have spent isn't really your problem. If the landlord complains then suggest you take on the bills yourself. I was always responsible for bills when I was a student.

RedMapleLeaf Wed 28-Sep-16 16:51:56

(I thought it was a bit pricey though, I pay £26 gas and electricity per month for two adults in a 100-year old, three bedroom house with gas central heating. Meters are more expensive though).

Does he have to enter the property to top up the meters?

CremeEggThief Wed 28-Sep-16 16:56:59

I'm on a smart meter now, but when I was on normal pre-pay, I spent £7-8 on electricity per week all year round. So £100 lasted me at least 13 weeks. I'm very conscious of usage though; every single thing in my house is switched off at the wall unless it's in use (apart from the fridge freezer).

Kel1234 Wed 28-Sep-16 16:59:01

When they need topping up, he has to come and collect the keys, take them and top them up, and then bring them back.

Kel1234 Wed 28-Sep-16 16:59:43

And I couldn't go round switching everything off like that. It would drive me mad

CremeEggThief Wed 28-Sep-16 18:45:09

You just get into the habit of it, Kel1234. As soon as the kettle/toaster/cooker/washer/microwave etc. has finished, you just switch it off.

Kel1234 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:06:31

Not meaning to be rude, but I really don't think I could cope with that. I have enough to do

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:42:27

It's not a difficult habit to get into. We do it for fire safety.

Also my DM used to work for the MEB & the engineers used to advise you do it or the appliances draw power.

Our toaster uses 10w if you just plug it in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now