A place for everything - how long did it take you?

(12 Posts)
Letmesleepalready Wed 21-Sep-16 19:18:52

Ever so often I try to declutter but we've never got to the stage where everything has got a proper easy to reach place (apparently piling things up in not quite stable mountains isn't the best organisational idea)
So I was wondering, if you weren't always tidy, how long did it take you to reach that pinnacle of tidiness?
I've just ordered the Kondo book, in the hope she'll spur us to perfection. I have high hopes grin but I know we'll all have to be ruthless to fit everything in the space we have (we have no attic/loft or garage for surplus stuff)

AliceInHinterland Wed 21-Sep-16 19:22:05

The thing is with kids 'everything' keeps evolving! I just try to celebrate any progress we make. I think Kondo would approve of not using attics etc as storage though.
Ideally I would only store seasonal stuff in the attic (Christmas, camping).

Letmesleepalready Wed 21-Sep-16 19:26:09

Yes, I have to remind myself that we had to get different storage solutions due to DD2 being much more into things than DD1 was. But there still so much that we haven't sorted yet, and it's starting to feel claustrophobic in here.
I don't think it helped seeing the Argos catalogue with their very minimalist photos!

homeaway Thu 22-Sep-16 11:28:56

It will depend on how much you have. I think once you start with kondo you just keep working through the categories until you are finished. I think you have to allow months rather than weeks but it will depend. It will be worth it in the end..

Letmesleepalready Thu 22-Sep-16 12:46:12

We've been going through cycles of decluttering so we have less than before but still too much for our storage, and I refuse to buy anymore storage as it's already taking up most walls. In the end I'm hoping we can get rid of some of the storage altogether.
I think a slow approach might be the best, but I also get very impatient, so we'll see!

ChipmunkSundays Thu 22-Sep-16 13:07:01

About a year for us. We got rid of vast amounts of stuff, and I spent absolutely ages thinking about where the logical places for things like candles or travel plugs would be, how to categorise things, and also how to make sure that everything was accessible. Previously I had very intricate storage systems which were things of organisational beauty but meant that nothing got put away as it was such a nightmare to e.g. fetch the chair, stand on tiptoe to get down three boxes of stuff at the front of the shelf, finally get the right box, sort through all the mini boxes to find the right place to store this particular piece of china etc...you get my drift! In practice said piece of china would just sit on the fridge as nobody could be arsed to put it away. I have now simplified things!

I think that the best Kondo tip I came across was vertical storage, and being able to see as much as possible at a glance. So our toiletries are now stored in clear plastic tubs so I can grab the right one first go; our clothes are filed upright so there´s no leafing through piles to find the right T-shirt; a lot of small things are stored inside shoeboxes in drawers with the lids off so that I can see at a glance what each drawer contains. Etc. Took a lot of work but was so, so worth it as it saves so much time hunting for things. Now I just need to crack paperwork and we´re pretty much done.

Letmesleepalready Thu 22-Sep-16 13:31:19

That sounds a bit like our place at the moment! Did you do a little every day?
I find I'll get started and then get too much out so I can't put it all back at the end. I really need to learn what my limit is for one session!

I've started hanging all my clothes as they are easier to access than my chest of drawers. But even with the majority of my clothes hanging my chest of drawers is so disorganised!

ChipmunkSundays Thu 22-Sep-16 14:55:57

I found that clearing out by category was easiest as I could adjust according to how big a timeslot I had. So I could do all my clothes in a weekend, but if I had just half an hour I could just do scarves. That kind of thing.

Definitely recommend Kondoing your drawers once you've got rid of stuff you don't wear. So much quicker to get things in and out.

Letmesleepalready Thu 22-Sep-16 15:38:09

That's a good plan, thanks!
I've decided we need to be quite ruthless with books because we have 2 bookcases and too many books to fit!

NickyEds Thu 22-Sep-16 15:51:06

I had a massive clear out when I was pregnant with ds, literally every cupboard, every drawer was emptied and stuff thrown away or donated. It helped that we lived in a small house. We moved about 18 months ago into a bigger house which has a basement, it's a nice room (it's an occasional bedroom if we have guests)with three huge cupboards in, one big cupboard houses the washer, one the dryer and freezer and the third has everything else in it. It has become a dumping ground and needs sorting out again!

Musicaltheatremum Thu 22-Sep-16 18:45:05

22 years in this house. Eldest is 23. Still not decluttered. I'm about to embark on a big redecoration project so I seriously need to declutter. Painter starts Monday and so far I have moved lots of clutter into a cupboard.

Letmesleepalready Thu 22-Sep-16 18:58:48

musical it took me 2 years after getting married before even realising that decluttering would be a good idea... DH has always been more minimal than me.
So we are slowly working towards it, although it seems to go 2 steps forward, 1 step back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now