Help me find a cheap memory foam mattress topper for a super king size bed please?

(11 Posts)
ProseccoBitch Wed 21-Sep-16 13:00:11

Our mattress isn't that old but DP says it's giving him a bad back, I'm broke and only have a budget of about £50 so need to find some kind of amazing offer. The main problem is that we've got a super king bed so lots don't come in that size and when they do they're expensive.

I've spent far too long this morning trawling Amazon and reading reviews of badly made bits of foam that smell of chemicals. Has anyone found any great deals recently?

malin100 Thu 22-Sep-16 00:08:39

Could you get a king one if the size difference isn't massive? Might just leave a couple of cm each side?

I got the Home one from Argos this week (king-size on offer at 49.99). Doesn't look like the picture but it is decent.

AppleMagic Thu 22-Sep-16 00:21:52

We bought a very expensive mattress topper from John Lewis to improve a flagging mattress and we found it made the situation worse. So I'm not convinced it'll solve your dh's back problems. But that aside, IKEA might be worth a try.

OlennasWimple Thu 22-Sep-16 00:23:32

Our Ikea topper is brilliant - has transformed a hard horrible mattress. But more than 50 quid I'm afraid... (And I wouldn't want to get one of these second hand...)

GardenGeek Thu 22-Sep-16 00:42:00

After buying lots of cheaper memory foam (Various Argos ones - not that cheap at all actually); I started to research about it.

I bought my memory foam cut to order from a website.
It was around £125 but compared to Tempur (£1800) it was a bargain.
I have a grade of memory foam higher than Tempur too grin

If you DH has a bad back then it will be important for you to select the right grade. You need to take both yours and his weights to make sure you get the correct grade.

If one of you regularly leaves for long distance working etc; then you take the average of one of your weights. If both sleep in bed most nights you add your weights together.

These weights will inform your grade of bounce/firmness. If you are too light and buy an ultra grade then it can actually be worse as you both are too high in the mattress IYSWIM.

Trying to find the site where I bought mine... will link if I find it.

GardenGeek Thu 22-Sep-16 00:43:08

*average of both weights sorry - If one sleeps away regularly

GardenGeek Thu 22-Sep-16 00:48:17

www.memoryfoamwarehouse.co.uk/

Here you go...
Also if you are getting a topper to revamp a knackered mattress, then get a 7.5cm +. Avoid the 5cm's.

I got the 10cm.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 22-Sep-16 12:45:38

Got one from IKEA to soften and extend the life of a good quality but very hard mattress until we can afford the same quality replacement. Ours came from IKEA, because we needed a Euro-size king. It works well, but is very hot and forced me to buy flat sheets as too thick for fitted sheets.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 22-Sep-16 12:46:30

Proofreading... you do know it came from IKEA?? Duh.

atticusclaw2 Thu 22-Sep-16 12:48:55

Dunelm mill have them

ProseccoBitch Fri 23-Sep-16 16:43:10

malin100 there's 6" difference between king size and super king so there'd be too much of a gap. The cheapest super king memory foam one Argos do is £155.

GardenGeek that's really, really useful thank you! I will look into that. We're pretty much always only in it at the same time apart from when I stay in bed with a hangover

OCSock did you get yours from IKEA??

IKEA don't seem to do a super king memory foam one.

atticusclaw2 I looked at Dunelm yesterday but even the value one is £140.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now