Airtight clothes storage suggestions needed pls

(9 Posts)
indecisivedoctor Tue 20-Sep-16 11:03:42

Hi all,

I've posted before about my damp garage.. This spring we discovered that a lot of what we'd stored out there was mouldy and ruined.

Although am having a good sort out, I do need to store some clothes out there ideally as no space in house and no attic.

Can anyone recommend storage for this? I've seen storage boxes that claim to be airtight? Or would those vacuum bags work?

Any help gratefully received.. Am drowning in stuff confused

Paulat2112 Tue 20-Sep-16 11:05:23

The vacuum bags are meant to be quite good and some are waterproof too. I seen some on qvc a while a go and he had put documents in it that he stored in his garage invade there was ever a flood, leak etc as they protected them from the water.

yeOldeTrout Tue 20-Sep-16 11:49:40

does airtight make sense if you have damp... doesn't that just trap the damp in??

How many clothes do you need, that you need to store some out there, is it stuff to hand down to younger children or winter skiing stuff?

indecisivedoctor Tue 20-Sep-16 13:06:29

It's mainly my summer stuff as don't really have space for both, things like occasion dresses and also yes baby/child clothes waiting to hand on to number two.

I am being ruthless in my sort out but we live in a fairly small cottage so indoor storage is limited.

I just assumed air tight would mean the damp air in the garage wouldn't get in?

nothingwittyhere Tue 20-Sep-16 15:10:14

In a garage i think you should go for boxes. Lakeland sell a largish box: 50 LITRE ULTIMATE WEATHERPROOF STORAGE BOX

yeOldeTrout Tue 20-Sep-16 17:26:22

Air tight box would mean the damp wouldn't get out.
The damp air inside the box (already there in the air when you shut it up, especially if you shut it up on a warm day so lots of moisture can be held in the warm air in the box), that water vapour in the air in the box would condense when the temperature drops (your garage is probably cold in winter) so that would create condensation inside the box -> damp/mould.

Might be okay if you vacuum packed items, I don't know about that.

indecisivedoctor Tue 20-Sep-16 17:50:12

Aha trout thank you that makes sense. I wonder whether any kind of desiccant would help like those little sachets you get in new things?

yeOldeTrout Tue 20-Sep-16 20:14:29

dessicant is a good idea... you need to research, though.

cozietoesie Tue 20-Sep-16 21:08:30

They seem to sell various sizes and quantities of dessicant sachets on Amazon if you need something fairly quickly. Not too expensive either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now