What's the best mop or way of cleaning floor without steam?

(15 Posts)
DailyMailPenisPieces Mon 19-Sep-16 20:29:25

I can't believe I'm starting this thread - so depressing; middle age is definitely here - but what is the best mop or way to clean floor? Very muddy floors, mops seem to swish dirty water around - what are the alternatives? Would like something with a pad I can just chuck in the wash, but not a steamer.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 19-Sep-16 20:34:22

I don't know daily but I use a boiling hot mop with dissolved washing up powder and I think its all in the drying- so I stand on two old towels and buff them up blush

Ijustworkhere Mon 19-Sep-16 20:40:31

I also do the towels thing! Sometimes if I'm really irate about the state of the floor I get down there with a scrubbing brush and have at it but to be honest I'm not sure how much of an improvement this is.

DailyMailPenisPieces Mon 19-Sep-16 20:47:00

For various reasons, I need to clean floors several times a day - that's an awful lot of towels grin. Is there nothing easier?

NanTheWiser Mon 19-Sep-16 21:54:51

I have recently bought one of these which makes really light work of cleaning my laminate floor. No buckets, no wringing, just fill the reservoir and spray - then you can remove the microfibre pad and throw it in the wash. Not sure how well it would cope with a very dirty floor, as I live alone, and my floor doesn't get very mucky!

Sgtmajormummy Mon 19-Sep-16 22:03:50

I have one of these flat mops and a few changes of pads. The chenille fingers do a good job and are easy to wring out or spin dry. Microfibre side for polishing.
www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Microfibre-Cleaner-Sweeper-Laminate/dp/B00FEMUMFM/ref=pd_day0_60_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0VA8HPKEM46T832V1EZJ

user1474322283 Mon 19-Sep-16 23:04:13

I use this mop with a built in water spray to clean my floors.

DailyMailPenisPieces Tue 20-Sep-16 11:49:44

Thanks all - v helpful!

InTheseFlipFlops Tue 20-Sep-16 11:56:48

i sort of flood the floor with soapy water / disinfectant / zoflora and then window vac it up.
The colour of the water is disgusting!

TweedAddict Tue 20-Sep-16 12:03:40

I use the flash spray mop. I find it really good, we have 3 dogs and a puppy so the floor is always being done. It takes a few minutes to do the whole floor, smells really nice and no bending or plugging the thing in. The only issue is I can only find them in wilko. Yes it may cost a little bit more then getting on hands and knees, but the ease of it is worth it for us.

froubylou Tue 20-Sep-16 12:06:40

I use a hot mop with all purpose cleaner and zoflora. Use a really wet mop at first then really wring it out and wipe the excess water up.

I had a steam mop and didn't rate it at all.

What I try and remember is if I don't at least try and get the floor a bit drier it just ends up as dirty as before really.

MrsJayy Tue 20-Sep-16 12:11:09

Im 45 and rubbish at mopping how can a person be rubbish as mopping blush i leave puddles everywhere i end up doing the towel thing in the livingroom rest of the floors im on my hands and knees its the only way i can manage it. Think i need 1 of those scooshy things though

InTheseFlipFlops Tue 20-Sep-16 14:22:45

Yeah i don't get the steam mop thing either, i thought i was doing it wrong blush

JacquelineChan Tue 20-Sep-16 14:27:41

when i used to work in a shop with lots of people traffic in and out we used to do this :
step 1 - very hot (boiled kettle) water plus flash - loads of flash really concentrated

step 2 - go over again with very hot water see above , only , to sort of give a final rinse

these floors weren't made of delicate materials though

wowowowow Tue 20-Sep-16 21:58:48

www.e-cloth.com/household-range/deep-clean-mop

Can't believe there are so many suggestions but there is really only one answer ! E cloths are the answer to everything.

So easy, so effective and bung the cloth in the wash. I don't know how the world managed without them. I use them for everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now