Is liquid or powder detergent better for removing stains?

(11 Posts)
ChickenVindlaoo Sat 17-Sep-16 19:11:50

Hello,

I'm sure I read that liquids work better than powders at low temps. Then I read (on here) that low temps are better for the enzymes in bio powder to work. But then powder is better for the machine so is it worth switching to liquid maybe just for a particular stained item? Is there a difference for coloured/white items?

And can you add Vanish powder to a liquid detergent? Nothing specific on the packaging.

Thank you wise mumsnetters!!

fluffypacman Sat 17-Sep-16 19:17:16

Rinse first with cold water. Hot water sets stains. For tomato or poo stains leaving your washing in the sun bleaches most out and it's free. I've learnt a lot about washing since using cloth nappies! Not sure on the temp thing though other than the initial rinse being cold. I used to use 60 to sanitise the nappies. I either use 40 or 30 for small loads and it seems sufficient.

Powder contains bleaches which can help remove stains. I prefer powder to liquids as the drum stays cleaner with it

Washing up liquid rubbed into the stain before washing also helps remove it

Sukitakeitoff Sat 17-Sep-16 21:10:26

According to Which magazine, powder is better. I think like Pixie says, it contains bleach.

ChickenVindlaoo Sat 17-Sep-16 21:48:31

Thanks dudes! I spilt curry paste on my grey & white striped nightie. I rubbed in some oxy vanish powder for whites. Then washed at 30 with bio powder and more oxy.

Came out 99% perfect!

grin

I'm sure my Saturday nights used to be more exciting!

evelynj Sat 17-Sep-16 21:51:58

Ooh, so overall is powder considered better for laundry & machine?

I'm going through a big box of powder atm & find it a pain, thought I'd switch back to liquid

PitchFork Sat 17-Sep-16 21:52:53

powder hands down.
normal long cycle on mashine with proper rinse.

PitchFork Sat 17-Sep-16 21:53:36

why a pain?

Sukitakeitoff Sat 17-Sep-16 22:08:09

Tablets are as good as powder - the hard tablets, not the gel ones. Less messy than loose powder smile

rabbit123 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:32:55

Powder, everytime. Also, hot washes don't set stains in. Modern washers are all cold fill, so the water is heated up in the machine over time allowing the detergents to work before the water gets very hot - hot is better for hygiene.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now