Child Proofing a Washing Machine

(9 Posts)
Scotinoz Fri 16-Sep-16 13:00:16

We've just moved into a rented house, to tide us over between an international move and buying a house, and it's come with a washer.

The washer doesn't have a child lock (seriously, who the hell manufacturers white goods without a child lock 😩) and I have two toddlers. Short of cutting off their limbs or permanently locking them out of the kitchen, is there any way to sensibly child proof a washer?!

So far my load this morning has been restarted four times and boil washed 😬

Thanks!

Justwanttoweeinpeace Fri 16-Sep-16 13:03:42

Temp fix but can you move a chair or something in front of it and destruct them in the living room?

tv

Justwanttoweeinpeace Fri 16-Sep-16 13:04:12

Distract! Although district would also above your problem grin

Justwanttoweeinpeace Fri 16-Sep-16 13:04:51

District? Bloody phone blush

Tuiles Fri 16-Sep-16 13:06:35

Sadly our only workable solution was buying a new machine with a toddler lock. He still figured out how to turn it off though!

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Fri 16-Sep-16 13:13:09

Whatttt??!! There child locks for appliances? My house came with a brand new washer so I've always used that and I didn't have children before that so it's never been a concern.
But I'm fed up of finding that clothes haven't been rinsed, double rinsed, aren't particularly clean as its on an 'Eco' wash.
Who makes these things of wonder?

Scotinoz Fri 16-Sep-16 13:21:42

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone: Yep! Loads of appliances have locks! It's usually just a couple of buttons you press together.

Justwanttoweeinpeace: I've tried a chair...16mth old scaled it and onto the worktop😩 They can open all the bloody doors, nothing holds their attention for longer than about 5 minutes so TV is a crap distraction 😡

Oh well, it's 6 months of clothes washed multiple times! I have a very sensible washer in storage, so I'm too tight to buy a new one!

Thanks all!

InTheDessert Fri 16-Sep-16 13:32:36

Would a cooker button guard work? Or do some dials stick out?

Scotinoz Fri 16-Sep-16 13:43:20

Utter genius!! Thanks a million!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now