Preventing mould and condensation

(12 Posts)
twinsymom Thu 15-Sep-16 21:13:36

How can I stop mould and condensation in my home? I get it every winter and want to be prepared to stop it this time. Any tips appreciated

billabye Thu 15-Sep-16 21:15:23

Buy a dehumidifier? I have one and it helps. Also a Karcher window vac to remove condensation every morning.

NicknameUsed Thu 15-Sep-16 21:17:56

Ventilation is key. Our windows have trickle vents in them so we don't get this problem. I also open windows whenever I can to ventilate the house.

twinsymom Thu 15-Sep-16 21:20:45

I was thinking of a dehumidifier. Have used the ones with beads but was useless. Do the plug ins work well?

twinsymom Thu 15-Sep-16 21:20:53

I was thinking of a dehumidifier. Have used the ones with beads but was useless. Do the plug ins work well?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 15-Sep-16 21:24:26

We bought a dehumidifier as we had the same problem in one bedroom.

It wasn't cheap, about £100, perhaps a bit more but it's amazing. The small ones aren't worth the money, you need a decent power to it to make a difference. I did buy a small desktop one initially but it was useless.

It completely solved our problem.

DanyellasDonkey Thu 15-Sep-16 21:30:48

I got a dehumidifier from Argos that cost nearly £100 but was a waste of money. It was on for hours but didn't make much difference. I now keep the window open as much as possible and use HG mould remover on any mould - it's brilliant and stops the mould returning in the same places.

elderberryflower Thu 15-Sep-16 21:31:21

Don't dry washing inside- huge amount of moisture. Line dry outside and/or tumble dry. If you have to dry it inside use one room with the door shut and a dehumidifier running next to it.

daisygirlmac Thu 15-Sep-16 21:33:41

You need to adequately heat and ventilate, so windows wide open for a period each day and make sure your heating is at a suitable level. Ideally don't dry clothes on radiators, put lids on pans and use extractor fans/open windows in kitchen and bathroom after cooking or showering

QuietlyPondering Thu 15-Sep-16 21:33:47

Same as above, ventilation is key but we also used bathroom / kitchen paint when we decorated so if any mould does appear it just wipes off easily.

NicknameUsed Thu 15-Sep-16 21:36:42

" If you have to dry it inside use one room with the door shut and a dehumidifier running next to it."

Or open a window.

chloechloe Fri 16-Sep-16 19:12:10

Ventilation! I live in Germany where people are slightly pedantic about it! At least twice a day open all the windows wide for 10-15min, ideally in a way that gets a draft going. The temperature outside has to be colder than inside when you do it, or you're just creating condensation. In summer this means you need to do it early morning (before 7) and evenings when the sun goes down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now