Stinky suitcase help

(12 Posts)
poppym12 Thu 15-Sep-16 10:56:52

I opened up a suitcase last week that hasn't been used for a while. There were some beach towels and swimming costumes in there. Obviously everything was washed and the suitcase aired before it was put away but it bloody stinks. A musty but stale food type smell.

I washed the contents several times but the smell was still there so I've binned everything. Any ideas how to rid the case of this revolting pungent smell? I don't want to bin the case if I can resolve the issue but it really makes me gag and I've no idea what has caused it.

brodchengretchen Fri 16-Sep-16 08:43:55

I don't think you can do anything because of the materials and construction of a suitcase. Look on it as a chance to get a new cabin compliant one, maybe?

AveEldon Fri 16-Sep-16 08:50:39

Sprinkle bicarb of soda in the case
Leave overnight, then vacuum it up

cafenoirbiscuit Fri 16-Sep-16 17:29:21

Coffee beans are great smell-absorbers

wowfudge Fri 16-Sep-16 19:12:18

I had a similar problem with a suitcase that smelled damp from being stored in a cellar when there was a leak. I tried everything and in the end had to throw it out.

poppym12 Fri 16-Sep-16 21:47:10

It's the strangest smell. To me it smells like gone off onions or garlic. No one else thinks it smells that bad but I'll try the bicarb and coffee beans, thank you. If they don't work it'll go to the tip. Shame really as it's the only decent big one we have (most of the time i travel light, hand baggage only, as I'm usually away less for 5 or 6 days).

notarehearsal Sat 17-Sep-16 16:40:22

Even fresh ground coffee works honestly. It took about two weeks but I eventually got the vilest smell out of a previously maggot infested wardrobe ( long story around very filthy teenager storing old food)

pinkieandperkie Sat 17-Sep-16 16:55:17

Yes to bicarb left overnight.

ScarlettDarling Sat 17-Sep-16 17:00:30

What about wiping it down with zoflora? It's a disinfectant so it should kill any bacteria which are creating nasty smells, and it comes in lots of lovely fragrances.

poppym12 Sat 17-Sep-16 22:17:51

Will try the coffee if no joy with bicarb (don't want to waste good coffee unless totally necessary!). Would zoflora not just mask the smell a bit?

booo21 Mon 19-Sep-16 08:36:15

these odor blocks would be ideal for your suitcase. just pop one in and leave it for a while and let it do it's magic.

poppym12 Wed 21-Sep-16 19:42:04

Looks ideal. Thanks booo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now