D'oh! I just realised my washing machine has a special cycle for darks! What obvious thing did you not know?

(11 Posts)
user1471456822 Sun 11-Sep-16 16:27:32

How did I miss this?!! I've had it for a year!

I've been torturing myself recently (I have a dull life) over what is the correct detergent to use with darks when all along I've been using the wrong cycle on the washing machine!

Anyone else had a d'oh moment?!

rabbit123 Sun 11-Sep-16 17:30:13

Colour liquid is best for darks and bio powder is best for lights, whites, towels & bedding.

user1471456822 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:40:52

Thanks! Yes, i've added coloured liquid to my shopping list.

Lights/mixed is a bit awkward isn't it? Especially black and white stripes!

Gaah!

CremeEggThief Sun 11-Sep-16 21:09:09

I separate whites, towels, bedding, woollens and cleaning cloths. All coloureds go together here. Non-bio powder for everything, as I couldn't be bothered with having more than one laundry product at a time!

I'm 38 and didn't realise until very recently that the buttons on women's clothes are on the opposite side to men's!

wowfudge Sun 11-Sep-16 21:16:58

After five months I today figured out how to run a spin cycle on our washing machine. My excuse is that I've always had machines with a separate spin programme on the main programme dial.

WigelsPigels Sun 11-Sep-16 21:20:48

That the extra bit on baby grows arms are built in mittens. DS1 is 8 and only realised with DS2 when he was 2m old, he is now almost 4m old blush

RachelLL92 Sun 11-Sep-16 21:22:18

I spent a year thinking my rain cover was to big for my silver cross before realising a popper that fastens underneath lol blush

Liiinoo Mon 10-Oct-16 18:00:59

I once paid for a washing machine repair man to come out because the machine was leaking. It turned out that the dispensing drawer was completely clogged up with congealed liquid and powder. I didn't know you were able/supposed to take it out and clean it. I am blushing now remembering the state of it (and the expense).

feesh Mon 10-Oct-16 18:03:11

Surely a special cycle for darks is nothing more than a marketing gimmick?! (Albeit one that was lost on you OP!).

bibbitybobbityyhat Mon 10-Oct-16 18:05:41

I've got a "darks" cycle too on my much-loathed Bosch. What on earth does it do? how is it different to all the other cycles? the instruction booklet is worse than hopeless, so I am completely none the wiser.

As it is, I wash my darks on a normal cottons cycle and use bio colour powder (not liquid, powder is better for keeping the machine clean) put straight into the drum first then washing on top.

originalmavis Mon 10-Oct-16 18:06:07

I had my machine for ten years before I realised read on Mumsnet that the 'easy iron' cycle just left your clothes damper. I thought my machine was on the blink as I began to notice that everything was coming out sopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now