Smelly Washing!

(13 Posts)
MrsSecker Thu 08-Sep-16 12:19:57

Looking for some ideas.. I have a fairly new washing machine, I use good detergents and fabric softeners however my washing sometimes comes out of the machine smelling worse than when it went in. I have cleaned all the cleanable bits, drawer, filter etc, tried the washing machine cleaning sachets, white vinegar on 90 degree was etc and the waste pipe at the back is hooked on so I assume no waste water is getting sucked back into the machine. I am at a total loss as to what is causing it. It's not with every load either. Any ideas?

nbee84 Thu 08-Sep-16 12:22:52

Have you tried pulling the seal and getting right behind to give it a clean. I find a grey sludge buds up behind mine.

nbee84 Thu 08-Sep-16 12:23:27

*builds

rabbit123 Thu 08-Sep-16 12:40:40

Are you using liquids? If so, try switching to powder. Liquids don't have any bleaching agents in them so can leave the machine smelly.

BertieBotts Thu 08-Sep-16 12:53:32

Silly question but are you removing the clothing as soon as it's finished or leaving it for a while?

If it's some washes but not others, can you notice any kind of pattern? I find certain fabrics (DH's black t-shirts especially) seem to hold onto a musty smell whereas others are easily cleaned. The ones which hold onto the smell (you can identify by sniffing each item as you go to hang it up) I normally collect them all up and stick them in on a 60C wash with some stain remover stuff or vinegar instead of fabric softener - similar to how you'd "strip" cloth nappies. Then they're better for a while.

I was also finding that the underarms of some of my tops really held onto sweat/deodorant smells but with consistent use of anti-sweat spray (I think this is just citric acid) and having changed deodorant I don't have the problem any more.

sixinabed Thu 08-Sep-16 13:02:11

I used to have an issue where washing came out smelling fusty and like it had been left in the machine for hours even when it was removed immediately. I started using a scoop of soda crystals in every wash and it totally fixed it. I also use powder, not liquid.

One time I thought a mouse had died in the machine because a terrible smell suddenly appeared - I found that there is a sort of drawer at the bottom of the front of the machine - some kind of filter that when I pulled out smelled atrocious. I cleaned it and got a washing machine cleaner from supermarket which fixed that. I never knew about the filter before. Had used the machine for 5 years without a problem blush

Hope you get it sorted. Smelly washing is bloody depressing.

LowDudgeon Thu 08-Sep-16 13:09:18

Using bio powder, instead of liquid or liquitabs (esp non-bio) got rid of my longstanding musty washing smell!

Lidl's is a Which best buy & very reasonable. It's a bit messy but I'd rather have that than the smell. (I tend to use possibly a bit more than I should but I have an 8kg machine & it doesn't give a precise amount)

MrsSecker Thu 08-Sep-16 14:47:42

That's great thanks everyone. I have been using liquid or liqui-tabs for as long as I can remember so I'll definitely change to powder now. I'll also try the soda crystals to give the machine a wash through. Thanks!

ageingrunner Thu 08-Sep-16 14:50:32

It might be worth pulling out the powder drawer and cleaning the space where it was iyswim. If you haven't already

LetTheHayfeverBegin Sun 11-Sep-16 17:14:17

YY to using powder - I had this and it took me AGES to work out why it smelt, and I even got,a new washing machine at one point. Since switching to powder it hasn't happened since.

cheapandcheerful Sun 11-Sep-16 17:23:56

No advice I'm afraid... I misread the thread title and came to have a look because I thought it was going to be about Welly Smashing.

madmother1 Sun 11-Sep-16 17:26:30

Also, clean your filter. I did this a while ago. It was filled with crap and a hair grip!

SirChenjin Sun 11-Sep-16 17:29:18

We discovered that ours had been incorrectly plumbed in thanks DH and so the pipe thing from the dishwasher was somehow connected. You're not getting back-flow from the sink or dishwasher?

I found powder caused more gunk to build up confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now