Washing machines

(14 Posts)
purpleporpoise Thu 08-Sep-16 01:19:23

Just got a new Samsung machine and have been using the 1 hour 40 degree program with an extra rinse. Hung the washing on the airer tonight and realised that DHs shirts don't smell fresh at all, despite using fabric conditioner.
Aside from advising him to use more anti perspirant, what's the best thing to do when I wash them

wowfudge Thu 08-Sep-16 05:11:02

What temperature are you washing at? Do you use any other washes and temperatures? What kind of detergent are you using? And finally, how long have you had the machine?

purpleporpoise Thu 08-Sep-16 12:18:03

Had the machine about a month. Washing at 40 degrees using Ariel washing liquid and comfort fabric conditioner. I put an extra rinse on the program as DS has eczema.
I've been using the short wash which is an hour. I'm just rewashing on a longer program to see if it helps

takesnoprisoners Thu 08-Sep-16 12:37:25

Did you place the washing liquid inside the drum? Or pour it in the tray? I found that placing the liquid inside the drum with clothes made the clothes smell... of nothing. Switch to the tray and see if it makes a difference. If you are using the tray already, I am clueless confused

rabbit123 Thu 08-Sep-16 12:38:47

That's Samsung washers for you. They barely use any water (eco bubble doesn't work!)

dementedpixie Thu 08-Sep-16 12:43:08

Maybe try using powder instead as they contain bleaches that help keep the drum cleaner. Has it told you to do an eco drum clean yet? Have you cleaned the filter and drawer out?

dementedpixie Thu 08-Sep-16 12:44:19

And if you do a shorter wash then they are for a smaller amount of clothes so try not to overload the machine

WordGetsAround Thu 08-Sep-16 12:45:26

Id try powder too - it's better for your machine too.

Muddle2000 Thu 08-Sep-16 15:52:19

Do you do a regular service "wash"?eg 90c empty wash
Def change to powder

Footle Thu 08-Sep-16 15:54:51

Not what you're asking, but fabric conditioner and eczema don't go together.

purpleporpoise Fri 09-Sep-16 00:09:16

I'll try the liquid in the drawer next.
I can switch to powder but would rather use up the liquid first. I switched from powder years ago as it left white marks on dark clothes

I wash baby clothes separately and with fairy and no fabric conditioner.

It's not told us to do an eco drum clean yet. It's done no more than 20 loads since we bought it

e1y1 Sat 10-Sep-16 19:33:08

YY to powder; it contains oxygen bleaching agents - no liquid at all does. You don't have to use powder exclusively, so clothes you don't want bleaching, use liquid and so on for powder.

Also fabric conditioner "locks-in" scent, so it will lock in the scent of sweat as well as the scent of the conditioner. I love fabric conditioner, but would not use on something I wasn't certain was thoroughly cleaned.

I have a Samsung too, they're not the greatest washers I don't think, but getting on fine with mine at the moment.

PitchFork Sat 10-Sep-16 19:36:16

softener can 'seal' smells in.
agree with most. wash at at least 40 (check if your mashine really reaches 40, should be in the manual)
bio powder

wowfudge Sat 10-Sep-16 20:41:06

It's the combination if liquid detergent and not a lot of water then. Switch to powder and wash towels at 60 degrees minimum - that hotter wash will help keep the machine clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now