Serious Mess

(7 Posts)
Noodledoodle123 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:07:36

Right ladies I need your help.

Our bedroom over the years has gotten ridiculously cluttered. Has anyone seen the episode of friends with Monica's cupboard? It's that bad. We also have a wardrobe we can't use because it's piled with stuff, a dresser that is also full, and hundreds of books.

We don't live in a mansion so you can imagine the struggle. I got a bit panicked the other day because I saw a hoarding program and our room didn't look far off.

Tomorrow is tackling day. Any tips or encouragement greatly appreciated. Most other threads encourage slow progress but I need it done this coming week because we are having our room re-decorated.

gamerchick Sat 03-Sep-16 23:11:51

Bag for bin, recycling, charity and keep. Be ruthless and do many tip runs if you can.

bump6 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:17:24

Hi, firstly be positive, yes it looks over whelming but it will feel so good once it's done.
I would suggest perhaps 3 sections: things you use, you don't & sometimes.
On the the things you don't,try the rule if not used in last year then bin.
Good luck & enjoy your new room.,

Mozismyhero Sat 03-Sep-16 23:29:04

The TV programme about decluttering your house said to empty everything about of the room, lay it all out then decide what you need and what will go back in.

Noodledoodle123 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:49:32

Thanks for responses. Nice idea mozismyhero but I'd need a football pitch grin

Magstermay Sun 04-Sep-16 06:08:18

Good luck! Think about how lovely it'll be when it's done. I've just started trying to declutter and I'd say be ruthless - I've tried before and ended up putting things back 'just in case' or because it's 'nice'. Now I've just started getting rid of it it's much better!! Although I've not read Marie Kondo, I find her idea of 'thanking' objects for their use before getting rid of them (if they're difficult to let go) does actually help although it sounds a bit wanky grin.

applesandpears33 Sun 04-Sep-16 08:45:41

Good luck! If you have any tips could you post them here afterwards? Our room isn't quite so bad, but I know I have hoarding tendencies and need to declutter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now