Tell me how to keep whites white

(11 Posts)
sycamore54321 Mon 29-Aug-16 19:40:08

So I no longer have access to an outdoor clothes line and notice my white items are significantly less white than when line-dried in sun. How do people who need to use tumble driers deal with white laundry? Is a fully separate white wash an absolute requirement or does my habit of binging whites and colours together in a cool wash mean I am to blame? How does one use laundry bleach and is it worth it? Any other tips?

Ellasshitholekitchen Mon 29-Aug-16 19:42:24

Colour catchers and oxy whites powder

Hockeydude Mon 29-Aug-16 19:43:19

If I want something to stay white (which tbh is only school stuff as I think white clothing isn't practical so don't get much else) then I only ever was them with other completely white items.

Buy less white stuff!

oiuoiu Mon 29-Aug-16 19:45:56

oxy whites powder is fanstatic product so is Dr.Beckmann glow white, it also comes with a stain remover so your killing two birds with one stone.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 29-Aug-16 19:48:03

strictly whites, 60wash, and bio.

kimlo Mon 29-Aug-16 19:53:50

I add soda crystals to the wash

dementedpixie Mon 29-Aug-16 19:58:43

Whites all in together, bio powder and a scoop of whitening powder. I don't mix washes.

DubiousCredentials Mon 29-Aug-16 20:33:42

Only whites
60 degrees long wash
Double the dose of bio powder - Aldi or Ariel

rabbit123 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:19:17

You don't need any additives or whiteners - just use a good bio powder (I recommend Persil, but Ariel is also good), use a full cycle, no quick wash & wash at 60 degrees.

Bio & non bio powders contain oxygen bleaching agents so no need to use anything else

rabbit123 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:20:29

Also, yes, you need to do a separate whites wash. Loose dye from darks will permanently dye your whites items

PigletJohn Wed 31-Aug-16 11:51:05

cut down on (or stop) the fabsoft, and add washing soda crystals. They make the soap residue dissolve better, and clean off the greasy deposit from the fabsoft. Both these deposits build up in the machine and on your clothes.

In fact, if you do a hot wash with soda and no soap or fabsoft, you will probably finds it foams up just from the old residue dissolving.

Powders are better for whites as they contain bleaching agents (except for the ones branded "for colours").

I don't agree with doubling the dose. Lots of people use excess amounts and it just increases the residue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now