How can I get rid of the damp village hall smell from the kitchen?

(16 Posts)
PippaFawcett Sun 21-Aug-16 08:26:06

We have moved house and the kitchen smells very damp, it is worse under the sink. I have cleaned everything thoroughly, including under the kickboard, but it is the first thing I can smell when I come into the house.

The kitchen doesn't have a window but I have been opening the door and the other surrounding windows to get some air in and I boiled some lemons up for a while, but they just made it smell of lemsip. Help!

wowfudge Sun 21-Aug-16 08:41:17

You need to find the source of the damp and fix it. Is there a leak?

PippaFawcett Sun 21-Aug-16 08:48:50

There doesn't seem to be now, but possibly an old leak. We have got a plumber coming out next week to have a look and double check but it could just be that old, fusty smell that places have too.

bookbook Sun 21-Aug-16 08:53:08

Good that you are checking for leaks - is it worth buying some water absorbing crystals, just to make sure its not residual damp/lack of airing?
You can get them in most homeware stores - something like this
here

PippaFawcett Sun 21-Aug-16 08:56:12

Thanks bookbook, I have never heard of them, I will give them a try.

wowfudge Sun 21-Aug-16 18:12:56

If there's no window, is there an extractor fan or is the cooker hood vented outside? You're going to get issues with condensation otherwise.

plutoisnotaplanet Mon 22-Aug-16 16:03:45

Dehumidifier smile

J0kersSmile Mon 22-Aug-16 16:05:01

Dehumidifier running constantly.

PippaFawcett Mon 22-Aug-16 22:51:00

I have bought one of these: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F1DNYPE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I will give that a go to see if it helps.

The under the stairs cupboard stinks of smelly shoes as well. Yuck!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 22-Aug-16 22:56:56

No window in the kitchen? That sounds odd.

Bleach down plug and leave all night followed by at least 3 kettles of boiling water.

Wipe down all around the pipe work and under the sink with a bleach solution.

PippaFawcett Mon 22-Aug-16 23:02:35

It is odd, a weird extension has meant the kitchen no longer has a kitchen. We are hoping to remodel it in time but that could take years for us to save up.

I have done the bleach thing and wiped everything I can get to, and I have got a new scented candle on but I don't want to mask the smell, I want to eradicate it.

rollonthesummer Mon 22-Aug-16 23:04:27

It is odd, a weird extension has meant the kitchen no longer has a kitchen.

Isn't it just a room then? grin

DearMrDilkington Mon 22-Aug-16 23:05:54

Fill sink with zoflora over night. That stuff usually overpowers every smell possible!

PippaFawcett Mon 22-Aug-16 23:46:21

Ha! Moving related exhaustion must have kicked in. I meant window grin

user1471360194 Tue 23-Aug-16 12:44:24

To get rid of the damp smell i would give this humidy absorber a try. This should help get rid of the damp smell.

Thanks

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 23-Aug-16 12:53:50

Never fails to amaze me how people don't read even the shortest of threads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now