What does your cleaner know about you

(9 Posts)
OliviaTJoyce Wed 10-Aug-16 06:40:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

indecisivedoctor Wed 10-Aug-16 07:00:17

Quite a bloody lot I think! They get a weekly snoop, tidy your desk, empty your bins etc.

My cleaner recently congratulated me on my pregnancy ( I was early on), saying she'd been wondering when it'd happen after seeing our fertility monitor etc confused

ameliaannshelby Wed 10-Aug-16 15:25:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Zippidydoodah Wed 10-Aug-16 15:58:29

This is exactly why I've never quite got round to hiring a cleaner! It might have saved my mental health while I was still working, but I'd hate to have someone in my house, not necessarily snooping, but by default seeing everything!

DanglyEarOrnaments Fri 12-Aug-16 21:24:35

We see all of your home and touch all of your things, to be honest, speaking personally after 20 years in the industry I've lost interest in the personal situations of clients, but I do know the staff find it interesting sometimes.

A big thing that seems to interest the staff is getting interior decorating ideas for their own houses from the more tasteful homeowners. They get tips on decor and ornaments for themselves by seeing other's tastes as much as they do.

This may sound bad but personally, although I love a nice interior for my own home, I just don't notice others' so much after all the homes I've seen, I literally only notice the scope of the workload now, even in the millionaire homes.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 14-Aug-16 09:34:09

This is the main reason I wouldnt get a cleaner. Commenting on fertility monitors - no. Not for me.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 14-Aug-16 17:58:28

I am a nanny - we have a cleaner she knows how messy we are, where things belong, if we're going on holiday and a little about the kids but not alot and definitely not as much as me ;)

FinallyHere Sun 14-Aug-16 19:30:19

You might as well accept that s/he will know pretty much everything. However, the nice ones wait to be told and then feign surprise when told things, before mentioning them, ever.

DanglyEarOrnaments Sun 14-Aug-16 20:25:28

Finally - so true and that is called professionalism in the job!

It never ceases to amaze me how many cleaners forget they are operating a business and are just plain over familiar with clients, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed within any industry and trying to open discussion of clients personal doo dahs with them crosses it IMO.

I can chit chat with clients like the rest but, god knows, I know what topics are inappropriate for me to raise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now