Synthetic carpet or wool carpet?

(5 Posts)
Newhallcatz Tue 02-Aug-16 11:47:10

Am totally bamboozled about replacing an existing threadbare carpet in the house we bought 2 years ago. Am looking for new stair, landing, corridor and bedroom carpet and don't know what to buy. Carpet man is recommending a 100% wool carpet with a weave and I have found a cheaper but nicer looking carpet called Glenweave Glencoe Bull Rush carpet. To me it feels and looks like a wool carpet but it is 80% synthetic fibre, 10% wool and 10% hair. It sounds awful but actually looks really nice and natural looking as opposed to synthetic. I have three young children so am conscious of spills and marks but would really welcome anybody able to steer me in the right direction. The Glenweave carpet can deal with any spillage but I am concerned that it might not last......any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

wowfudge Thu 04-Aug-16 00:10:33

100% wool is not the most hard-wearing for stairs. 80:20 wool: polypropylene is the hardest wearing and you can get in different weights.

How much is the one you prefer?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Aug-16 00:16:33

I've just had to replace a wool carpet as the moths got to it. I would avoid completely now. Wool isn't hard wearing on stairs as already mentioned.

Mycraneisfixed Thu 04-Aug-16 00:17:58

I'd never buy pure wool again! Years ago it was either that or nylon. Both had their drawbacks. Non-wool carpets these days are brilliant. Get one that's stain-resistant in any colour you likesmile

NoBetterName Thu 04-Aug-16 00:23:32

Just replaced flooring and carpets throughout. The shop recommended synthetic for high traffic areas because apparently this can be bleach cleaned, but wool can't. Don't know how accurate that is though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now