Best kept secrets for clean, beautifully smelling and ordered house?

(35 Posts)
manalice Sat 30-Jul-16 20:33:18

Just that really...I'm trying to keep on top of the household chores with a toddler and a baby so need quick effective tips.

Mine would be the plug in Yankee candle diffusers you can get from eBay, waitrose buster plug hole sanitiser in eucalyptus and blue flash gel.

Over to you...

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 30-Jul-16 20:38:39

Plants. Lots of plants.

Clean the air, give off a nice earthy scent, suck up odours and look lively and healthy.

SuburbanRhonda Sat 30-Jul-16 20:41:10

Agree about the plants. We have two cats and an old house - I've increased the number of plants in the last six months and the difference is amazing.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 31-Jul-16 22:21:25

I have two toddlers and my number one tip is .. Nappy sacks grin

Windows open as much as possible.
Bin out strictly daily.
Toilet gel down every night.
Wipe out fridge as often as possible

I can't have plants ... The week toddlers would eat them. They have ate most of the sandpit confused

MILLYmo0se Mon 01-Aug-16 10:10:01

Plants.........my lord,that is so obvious,why has that never occured to me ?!
Any suggestions for cheap,easy to find,easy to care for indoor plants?

ayeokthen Mon 01-Aug-16 10:12:02

Quick mad dash of tidying a few times a day (10 mins or so), an hour cleaning when they're in bed, and I swear by Scentsy warmers for a nice smelling home, after I've had the windows open for hours.

Clankboing Mon 01-Aug-16 10:20:37

Get a decent long handled brush especially if you have hard floors and give dusty messy floors a quick brush.

Missgraeme Mon 01-Aug-16 10:23:34

Keeping a tidy house when u have kids is like clearing snow when it's still snowing.

Naicecuppatea Mon 01-Aug-16 10:25:38

Also interested in some hardy but attractive plant recommendations!

StubbleTurnips Mon 01-Aug-16 10:26:46

House plants never survive here! We kill them all sad

Clankboing Mon 01-Aug-16 10:27:45

Money plants, spider plants, devils ivy.

ilovemilton Mon 01-Aug-16 15:44:26

I've just had a look at the Yankee candle diffusers...which are good scents?

BrianButterfield Mon 01-Aug-16 15:54:23

Put your dish clothes/sponges/washing up brush to soak in a little bit of water and Zoflora overnight - keeps them clean and the kitchen smells nice in the morning.

ChishandFips33 Wed 03-Aug-16 00:47:17

Spider plants. Peace Lily. Devils Ivy have all survived my care surprisingly

Windows open. DH shoes outside!

ginorwine Wed 03-Aug-16 07:31:27

Plants in most rooms here
The two rooms without are less fresh

StrawberrytallCake Wed 03-Aug-16 07:37:52

Are peace lilys not poisonous for dogs, cats and small children?

StrawberrytallCake Wed 03-Aug-16 07:38:38

*lilies

elgol Wed 03-Aug-16 07:43:14

Open the windows. Especially during cooking. Shut shoes away. Clean loos. Put bins out.

I can't stand chemical smells. Room fresheners do not smell nice to me. Generally sort of icky. I walk into mil's house and get a strong waft of loo cleaner. Not nice. maybe she walks into mine and smells the loo

allegretto Wed 03-Aug-16 07:48:45

Don't smoke, don't have dogs and don't cook curry in the house. Open the windows as much as possible. Don't use candles or air fresheners unless really necessary.

allegretto Wed 03-Aug-16 07:49:52

Yes - peace lilies are quite toxic, would avoid with young children or pets.

ShotsFired Wed 03-Aug-16 07:56:18

Windows and doors open as much and and as long as possible for me. Have never found an artificial fragrance that doesn't smell artificial unfortunately (and not willing to spend £££ on really fancy ones)

But everyone's house has its own human smell, whatever you do. Some nicer than others...

VanillaSugar Wed 03-Aug-16 08:02:50

Did you know that you can buy used, empty Jo Malone reed diffusers on eBay? I.e. someone used it up, kept the packaging, and is now selling the lot (bar the actual smelly stuff) for QUITE A LOT of money...

Lunar1 Wed 03-Aug-16 08:06:38

I'm going to get more plants after reading this. Which are best that I won't kill?

JasperDamerel Wed 03-Aug-16 08:11:03

I might stood at the garden centre today and get something. Although I suspect that actually doing housework would be more effective.

newpup Wed 03-Aug-16 08:32:33

I have a lab so am obsessed about ensuring my house does not smell! I have the windows open as much as possible it really airs the house. I also burn candles, mostly Yankee Candles as the scent is beautiful and lasts. I use floral ones in the Summer; Kiku, Roses , White narcissus and warmer scents in the Winter, Cinnamon, Wild fig etc. I have fresh flowers in my kitchen, Stocks are great as they have a lasting scent. Lilies in the sitting room and hallway. I also vacuum daily to remove any dog hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now