What vacuum have you got and do you recommend it?

(51 Posts)
rollonthesummer Fri 29-Jul-16 15:53:55

I had an upright Dyson for years and loved it but it died during our poorer years and I replaced it with a Hetty which has lasted for 7 years and has a lovely smiley face but is actually a pain in the arse to use. It doesn't seem to be able to be pulled at all without falling over and kills my back to use.

I was about to buy a basic Dyson but have been reading some of the reviews in Amazon and they aren't brilliant! I expected much more 4/5 stars for £300!!

Can anyone tell me what they have and if they like/hate it?!

I have pets but they aren't really moulty so that's not a huge issue. We have wooden floors, Lino and carpet and 2 flights of stairs so I don't want it to be too heavy!

rabbit123 Fri 29-Jul-16 19:04:46

We have a Sebo. 21 years old this year and still as good as the day it was bought. I wouldn't have anything else now

erindesmond Sat 30-Jul-16 13:20:46

I still have a good ole Henry Hoover lol. I know it's old school and there are many more newer models out now but this hoover has never let me down and it just keeps going and going:-) Highly recommend.

Lj8893 Sat 30-Jul-16 14:08:00

I love my Henry blush

Finola1step Sat 30-Jul-16 14:09:39

One word...Sebo.

rollonthesummer Sat 30-Jul-16 14:37:29

I truly hate my Henry/Hetty! It either won't budge or completely falls over every time I pull it!!

I will investigate Sebo- thank you. I haven't heard of them!

igotnotimeforthis Sat 30-Jul-16 14:38:18

Miele, will never buy anything else

potatomama Sat 30-Jul-16 14:39:40

Basic bagless Argos one is actually pretty good. We've had it 5 years now no problems.

DramaAlpaca Sat 30-Jul-16 14:43:46

Another vote for Miele. Best brand I've ever had.

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 30-Jul-16 14:51:51

Dyson v6 absolute

I love it. It's cordless holds a twenty min charge plenty to run around lounge in. It's light.

And washable e.g filter, dust collector etc can all be washed so it's perfect for my toddler throwing food stage

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 30-Jul-16 14:54:22

I have a roomba called Rita. She vacuums while I sleep and I luffs her.

KittensandKnitting Sat 30-Jul-16 14:57:46

Big Dyson fan here

Have a cordless one which I use for quick jobs and the big upright both dyson animals and both fantastic.

We did have one with a ball thing I hated it, DP loved it - Uprights all the way here smile

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 30-Jul-16 17:30:42

Bought a Dyson V6 cordless for myself, just for stairs and upstairs, but have since hardly used the bigger Dyson. So light and convenient.
Have since bought another for dd - so much easier for her than previous heavy thing, for a quick vacuum up of toddler crumbs and general mank. She loves it, too, ditto her dh.
Bought them at different times when briefly on sale at John Lewis - never for long though so had to keep checking.

Floralnomad Sat 30-Jul-16 17:36:51

I currently have a Bosch Athlet cordless upstairs , which is excellent and a Morphy Richards upright downstairs which is on its last legs but we also have a cordless Dyson in the kitchen so that gets used downstairs as well - the cordless dysons are nowhere near as good as the Bosch .

MrsLouisTomlinson Sat 30-Jul-16 17:44:29

Shark lift away. Love it!

ExtraHotLatteToGo Sat 30-Jul-16 17:49:12

Henry - wouldn't be without him!

I did buy him a sibling though, just for those 'quick whip around' moments. It's an expensive VAX and it's useless! I really should sell it & try another one, but selling stuff like that is such a faff.

80sMum Sat 30-Jul-16 17:53:13

I have a Miele upright. It's very good at picking up, but I wouldn't particularly recommend it, as it's very heavy, very expensive and the tube seems to get blocked very easily.

lapsedorienteerer Sat 30-Jul-16 17:53:36

A Dyson DC40 animal (I think). It's my first Dyson, and will be my last. It picks up OK but is not very robust, very plasticy (not sure that's a word) and the hose bit is way too short. Having said that I had a Sebo upright before and hated that as it was too heavy......clearly I need to try another brand smile

Henry - yes! Ours is at least 15 years old and still (fingers crossed) going strong.

Flippertygib Sat 30-Jul-16 18:40:28

Dyson cordless. I love mine. I've also had a Miele cat and dog which was great - when I lived in a flat. Now there's stairs it's got to be cordless.

Fomalhaut Sat 30-Jul-16 18:43:02

Roomba.
Wonderful thing

wineandsunshine Sat 30-Jul-16 18:44:42

Hetty every time!

Flippertygib Sat 30-Jul-16 18:45:03

Mmm I've also got a Roomba (the one that sweeps and washes) but I don't think that wouldn't be practical at all for a 3 floor house with all different types of flooring.

MadisonMontgomery Sat 30-Jul-16 18:49:29

I've got a Vax cordless - it's pretty good, gets in the corners and you can take off part of it to use like a handheld vacuum.

almostthirty Sat 30-Jul-16 18:49:41

I have a neato robot hoover and a large dog. I haven't hoovered in 18 months. It's amazing and less than £200.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now