How would you tackle this WC? (photo)!!

(18 Posts)
Draylon Tue 26-Jul-16 14:56:52

It's actually 'clean', as in well bleached, (and dry), but that muck's crusty limescale, despite there apparently being a water softener installed.

Anyway, how would you set about cleaning it?

TIA!

chilipepper20 Tue 26-Jul-16 14:57:40

have you tried toilet limescale remover?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 26-Jul-16 14:59:12

We had one like that but worse. Drained the water out so it was dry and soaked it overnight with waitrose limescale remover gel. All the brown crust has gone entirely now

DoItTooJulia Tue 26-Jul-16 14:59:34

You need something to chip away at the build up but that won't damage the porcelain.

Dry rice and white vinegar?
Jif and a scourer?
Diet Coke?

Let us know how you get on. If I think of anything else, I'll come back!

BrianButterfield Tue 26-Jul-16 14:59:36

Mine was like that when I moved in. I got some limescale remover gel (with the toilet cleaners) -£1 from Tesco, one application did it!

AnnaMarlowe Tue 26-Jul-16 15:00:36

WD40

greatbigwho Tue 26-Jul-16 15:01:22

Kilrock - it's amazing stuff.

Draylon Tue 26-Jul-16 15:10:10

Thanks all.

I put limelite on it for 10 mins (there's all sorts of dire warnings about 'no more than 2 mins!' on it!); I left it for only 1/2-3/4 hr with neat vinegar in it, which has improved it a bit (the photo is the 'after' one! I did chip at it a bit but it marks the porcelain.

How would one use WD40 for the job, and where can you buy Kilrock? And why dry rice?

Where do people get white vinegar in cleaning quantities, too?!

Currently have left it with more vinegar in the bowl.

Grassgreendashhabi Tue 26-Jul-16 15:15:06

My old rental WAs like that.

Try full fat coke. Honest leave over night of possible

Garbadgeman Tue 26-Jul-16 15:19:50

Both mine were like this when we moved in as house had been empty for months, hard water area and water just sitting in toilets. Coke did nothing, I used bottles of the stuff to no avail, only thing that worked was Harpic Power, the one in the black bottle. Put a full bottle down each loo, left overnight, by morning there was big chunks of limescale floating in the water that had broken away. It needed a second application so used 4 bottles in all which may not be the cheapest solution but they ended up sparkling with absolutely no scrubbing required.

MistressMerryWeather Tue 26-Jul-16 15:22:57

Kilrock here

It's amazing.

Draylon Tue 26-Jul-16 15:38:39

Thanks, all!

sparechange Tue 26-Jul-16 15:42:11

Can you still buy Caustic Soda from DIY shops?
Leave that overnight...

mariemason Tue 26-Jul-16 16:59:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LostPlatypus Tue 26-Jul-16 17:14:44

Harpic Power Plus - either the liquid or the tablets. The tablets need water though. They come in a black bottle or box, were recommended to me on here by loads of people and definitely work. I had to deal with a toilet that looked like that, that I couldn't dry out completely and the tablets sorted it. I used them twice, overnight both times. I used two tablets each time then attacked it with a loo brush. You now wouldn't know said toilet ever looked like that - it looks brand new.

Madbengalmum Tue 26-Jul-16 17:16:49

Kilrock is £1.99 at Aldi this week,it is brilliant stuff. Great kettle descaler too. Exactly the same brand as the amazon one,just half the price!

BeautifulRedBoots Tue 26-Jul-16 17:20:44

Mine was like that.
First I scooped out as much water as I could using an old yogurt tub.
Second I poured white vinegar in (buy 5 litre bottles off ebay)
Third, pour boiling water into the middle (try not to pour directly onto the porcelain as it might crack
Fourth, leave overnight or as long as possible
Finally, use a round bladed knife to lever limescale which still adheres, scoop out big chunks of it, then flush and brush smile

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Tue 26-Jul-16 19:30:18

The water softener will remove the limescale after a while, if it's been newly installed. If the softener has been in for a good while, check that there is salt in it, as it doesn't appear to be working!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now