Anyone bought a new cooker lately?

(7 Posts)
whataboutbob Fri 22-Jul-16 20:26:43

This is for my brother whom I support to live at home, he has mental health difficulties. He's living on in our parents' home, anyway the cooker there is absolutely on its last legs. He has an old style electric oven with metallic rings. Preferably we're looking for something which is gas on the hob and with an electric oven. We're not keen on induction because he'd have to go out and buy a whole new set of pans.
Any recommendations gratefully received.

Missingsleepandthecat Sat 23-Jul-16 20:43:39

We've recently bought (all electric though) a Belling cooker with a multifunction main oven and ceramic hob, it knocks spots off our previous -16 year old- one, its fast to preheat and cooks really evenly with no burning or catching, the grill is fantastic too. I'm sure they do a similar model with a gas hob as well OP. HTH smile

whataboutbob Sun 24-Jul-16 22:06:40

Thanks missing. Sorry if it's a daft question but is ceramic the same as induction and did you need new pans? I'll look up Belling gas cookers in the meantime.

littlemissneela Sun 24-Jul-16 22:21:24

Ceramic isn't the same as induction. Our previous cooker was a ceramic one by Creda with Zanussi I think, and we now have an induction cooker. I loved my ceramic cooker. Super easy to use, efficient, and looks nice. Food can get burnt onto the glass top though, so something to be aware of. It doesn't happen with my induction. Induction is my more responsive than the ceramic, quite close to gas in that respect. We have a Belling cooker, and I am loving the build quality, though the oven isn't as deep as my previous one, so a bit of an issue with baking trays.

whataboutbob Sun 24-Jul-16 22:42:12

Thanks littlemiss. Bro is very much a rough and ready cook (although he enjoys it a lot) cleaning is not his forte to put it mildly so ceramic probably isn't for him. But you never know, if I drum it into him he must wipe stains and spills straight away or his cooker won t work well anymore he might listen.

Missingsleepandthecat Mon 25-Jul-16 15:57:06

Also, we didnt know this when we bought it at the time, but theres a light on the edge of the hob to say that the hobs in use/been in use and is hot/still hot, it doesnt give you an indication of which zone you've used but its still useful

LurkingQuietly Tue 26-Jul-16 09:22:26

I have a Belling range cooker. 5 gas burners, a grill and two electric ovens. I bloody love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now