Maggots!

(16 Posts)
JenniferYellowHat1980 Thu 21-Jul-16 10:48:44

Feeling ill. Went to pop some strawberry stalks in the food bin and it's writhing with maggots. We clean it thoroughly at least twice a week but the council only take their own bags and supplies are limited so it needs to be reasonably full before we transfer to the bigger food bin outside - anyway in this weather we're just transferring the problem into there.

So, how to prevent maggots? One council website suggests wrapping food but the idea of the bins is that everything has to be biodegradable. Also I have the original bag within two further bags that I now think would be stupid to put in the bigger bin. Might just go and put it in a public bin in the hope that they're emptied more regularly. I've bleached and put boiling water over the small bin. My skin is crawling.

And don't get me started on the black bin which is now emptied three weekly - it's only just been done and this morning I put a bag of used cat litter in it. Oh sometimes I loathe adulthood!

handbags88 Thu 21-Jul-16 23:04:36

The only time I've noticed maggots in our food bin was when I put some bits of uncooked chicken in it. It was absolutely disgusting - I felt like I needed to take 10 showers confused
Also we don't have a little food waste bin, just the outside one so it doesn't really matter too much about maggots outside.
I've been putting raw meat scraps in the landfill bin since then - I can't cope with maggots again! Not really sure what else you could do...I'll be watching in case someone else has a better answer smile

Mcchickenbb41 Thu 21-Jul-16 23:17:51

I read on mumsnet that sand sprinkled in the bin was a good way to kill off maggots. I find if the lid on my bin is shut then there's no maggots but if it's not shut then the blue bottles get in. That's what causes the maggots

user1464934899 Fri 22-Jul-16 07:16:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

divafever99 Fri 22-Jul-16 10:07:03

I have noticed this too this week. I have just got a food bin, all the food is sealed in the bags the council provided. Never had maggots when I put food in the main waste bin.

Savagebeauty Sat 23-Jul-16 11:52:47

Just found some in the outside food bin. Nearly heaved. Have poured salt over for now

Dafadddu Sat 23-Jul-16 13:49:34

I found some in my kitchen caddy the other day and I must have left it open to just scrape a plate into it and its enough to let that fly in.

Im use to maggots so im not phased by them. We keep sheep and gave had to ckean up after blow fly strike.

Coconutty Sat 23-Jul-16 22:58:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

schnubbins Sun 24-Jul-16 22:02:55

I have found that maggots appear during hot summers and when meat of any kind is in the bin that is why now do not put any meat trimmings/leftovers in the bin until it is due to be collected.We live in a country that has warm summers so we have had maggots a few times which I find absolutely disgusting.I now freeze all leftover bits of meat in a bag and put them in the bin on the day it is due to be collected.
As for getting rid of maggots.I put the contents of the bin into a large heavy duty rubbish bag and doused it with bleach and one time in desperation with anti freeze .They all died.

Coconutty Sun 24-Jul-16 22:59:42

Coconutty Sun 24-Jul-16 22:59:59

divafever99 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:44:55

They collected mine today coconutty it was infested!

LIZS Tue 26-Jul-16 21:49:08

We're plagued too. Our inside food bin was crawling yesterday -bleugh- and there are so many flies around.

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 26-Jul-16 21:53:03

We had maggots in our wheelie bin last week for the first time ever. Even when we had pooey nappies in there 10 years ago we never had maggots. Mind you, we had weekly bin collections then unlike the fortnightly ones now.

I think the problem this year was all the rainy weather before the heatwave. There were slugs everywhere and they got in the bin somehow. I reckon one or two died in there and a fly got in and laid its eggs in the rotting slug body.

Anyway, I opened it one morning and the inside of the lid was crawling with them. Strangely enough there were none on there when the bin men emptied it later that day.

Coconutty Tue 26-Jul-16 22:41:15

Scuttle22 Tue 26-Jul-16 23:02:40

Yep me too. First time this year - it is hell! Bin is cleaned properly. I feel sorry for the refuse collectors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now