Multiyork, Parker Knole, John Lewis!!!

(9 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Tue 19-Jul-16 18:42:36

After twenty years my Multiyork 3 piece suite has had new covers from Plumbs and looks fine except for one chair which has a hugely sunken seat. It is the one my husband uses and I blame the way he used to drop into it. Anyway we can no longer get away with putting cushions under the seat. I asked Plumbs what it would cost to mend it. I was told that it would need to be reupholstered and would cost from £900. All the cushions are fine. So decided to look for a coordinating leather chair. Not sure where to buy it. Have been pleased with Multiyork except for one problem and I know someone else who has had the same. The cushions kept slipping forward when sitting on them. I had two sets of covers and it didn't make any difference which were on. One set was silky but the other was a kind of tapestry.However, when Plumbs supplied new covers a couple of years ago the problem disappeared. Now I am wondering if the same thing would happen with a leather chair. Also, would appreciate advice on whether John Lewis, Parker Knole or other would be a good way to go. I really want a good framework, even if my husband has now learned his lesson. By the way, he is not overweight! Would be so grateful for any advice.

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 20-Jul-16 11:27:28

My gp always had Parker knowle. When they redecorated they would have the suite recovered if needed. My grandmother worked for John Lewis for over 20 years and always brought the best furniture she could afford. Ercol being another one. She loved the fact that the first ever pk suite she brought cost £50. An awful lot of money in the '70s. She sold it for the same price years later.

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 20-Jul-16 11:52:17

Sorry just saw my spelling mistakes confused I blame the heat

HappydaysArehere Thu 21-Jul-16 09:23:53

Thank you so much Mcchichicken. I am sure your grandparents were right. I do remember people telling me about recovering PK chairs after years of wear. So when I am at last resting in my PK chair I will say this is all down to Mcchicken who kindly helped me decide. Thank you so much. This decision was getting too much for me in this heat.smile

Mcchickenbb41 Thu 21-Jul-16 09:51:42

Ahhhh glad I could help. You obviously have very good taste. I learnt a lot from my gp about a lot off differant things (we were very close) advice that has stayed with me is how to buy good furniture. They have both sadly passed away now. ( miss them desperately ) When we cleared their house it struck me just how good their taste was. Not one item went to a charity shop. ( hope that doesn't sound grabby because that's certainly not how it was ) enjoy your pk suite xx

HappydaysArehere Sat 23-Jul-16 10:09:13

No Mcchicken, Not grabby. Just learning from life's lessons. I too learned from my grandparents and parents. In fact things they said keep coming back to me and I do miss them so much. Some of the happiest times in my life were spent in my grandparents home and it's where I used to take my friends. I can remember their welcoming when we turned up (unannounced) and how my friends loved it too. In fact I have tried so hard to be a grandparent just like them. Your memories will always stay with you as you as a precious part of your life. So take care Mcchicken xx

HappydaysArehere Sat 23-Jul-16 10:13:17

Forgot to say my grandparents and my mother also worked for John Lewis for the largest part of their working lives!!

Davros Sat 23-Jul-16 10:13:29

We were impressed with Multiyork respringing our fairly old furniture and restuffing/filling the cushions. They had a record of the purchase from 15 years before!

Mcchickenbb41 Sat 23-Jul-16 13:32:31

I think our grandparents were cut from the same cloth ! My nan on a Sunday would go to so much effort to put on a special tea. Would even use her special China for her three very young grandchildren. She used to say you never know one day you may be eating with the queen lol which hasn't happened. Did you ever go to the John Lewis holiday places. The Odney club which I think is near Marlow and Brownsea Castle ? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now