Tidying/ kondo type "must do"s please! For the casual tidier 😊

(18 Posts)
GnarlyOldGoatDude Mon 04-Jul-16 14:28:41

On a whim, and because I couldn't physically fit any more clothes in, I googled how to Kondo fold t shirts and have utterly transformed the kids' clothes drawers. I can see stuff! And it fits!

I'm never going to manage it properly, will never read the book, or keep up with the proper threads. But are there any absolute must do tidying hacks that people could recommend please? TIA smile

Kwirrell Tue 05-Jul-16 13:56:44

Put the same thing in the same place. I decided on a medical box. I gathered any medical stuff into one place. 9 bottles of cough mixture. 3 boxes of plasters, 3 Vick etc etc.

The reason is because if we could not find so,etching we bought new. I have hear stories of mounds of sellotape, staplers, shampoos, the amount of money we all waste is amazing.

Also there is a Kondo site that lists 200 categories of stuff. Just pick one category that aggravates you and start with that.

SnugglySnerd Tue 05-Jul-16 14:00:44

When you buy things like toothpaste take them out of the box and dispose of it before taking the items upstairs to the bathroom. It avoids having an empty box lying around the bathroom for days on end.
Sort out Tupperware and have a system for storing it that doesn't take over half the kitchen.
Put all DVDs into one of those CD folders and get rid of the boxes, they take up loads less space.

LMGTFY Tue 05-Jul-16 14:01:12

gnarly the one thing I would do is use her method of clearing clothes by deciding if it brings you joy. Honestly the folding is second to that in having organised drawers cos there's so much more room!

kwirrell don't suppose you have a link to that site do you?

apatheticfallacy Tue 05-Jul-16 14:06:17

Ooh this has inspired me to sort out the Tupperware cupboard whilst DS naps!

Let's hope it's a long nap grin

MouldyPeach Tue 05-Jul-16 14:06:37

Place marking! I need every day tips for staying tidy too - particularly the evil that is keeping Tupperware sorted.. How??

My tip to keep on top of vacuuming is to move into a bungalow and have a storage cupboard with a plug socket in the middle of the house from which the Hoover lives, unwound, and can reach the whole house bungalow. Worked for me grin

MouldyPeach Tue 05-Jul-16 14:09:17

Actually I do have something more useful - drawers in the bathroom. Can chuck in and keep out of sight all manner of hair bobbles, lip balms and stuff. Another drawer for bottles and tubs so they don't sit out getting dusty. Not see-thru drawers though, they get grubby and gross looking too quickly.

Kwirrell Tue 05-Jul-16 14:26:22

Google Kondo list Kersha and Jup. Sorry I can't do links. But it comes out a printable list.

SnugglySnerd Tue 05-Jul-16 14:30:12

I have a large Tupperware box in a drawer. Inside that are all the other containers stacked inside each other. Their lids fit down the side of the large box. Round things are stacked inside each other separately.
It takes a bit more effort to put them away but it is so much better than when they all used to fall out of the cupboard and I couldn't ever find the right lid!

Kwirrell Tue 05-Jul-16 14:31:20

Start that again Jershanddup Kondo list

Can't do links, can't spell, can't read but I have got a bloody tidy house.😳

Abraiid1 Tue 05-Jul-16 14:44:48

Get a cordless vacuum and Hoover up crumbs and dirt as soon as they land on the floor, if you can. Makes everything look better and it is so quick with a cordless.

LMGTFY Tue 05-Jul-16 14:47:48

Thanks kwirrell this is it

Tinklypoo Tue 05-Jul-16 14:51:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MouldyPeach Tue 05-Jul-16 15:22:20

SnugglySnerd but what happens when you want to use the large Tupperware box that they're all stored in? Or is it a designated never-use box?

MouldyPeach Tue 05-Jul-16 15:23:41

tinkly it's changed my life. Well, it's made me more willing to vacuum knowing it's plugged in and ready to go at all times!

GnarlyOldGoatDude Tue 05-Jul-16 17:17:26

Thanks all- I have a cordless Hoover which is great. Will look at that list! My biggest problem is just piles of "stuff" all over the house...

SnugglySnerd Tue 05-Jul-16 21:34:32

Mouldypeach it's a very large box, only ever used to put the Christmas cake in at which point most of the other containers are in the fridge full of lovely leftovers anyway! grin

apatheticfallacy Tue 05-Jul-16 22:41:51

So I cleared out the Tupperware cupboard but then cried because DS is not my baby any more - breast pump, steriliser and every brand of bottle known to man (that he rejected in turn) are all now in the attic. Who'd have known the Tupperware cupboard contained such emotion? I fear my wardrobe and all the pre-baby clothes will be more painful so I'm going to keep ignoring that for a while.

Where do you all keep your chopping boards? Mine are on a shelf in the cupboard but they only fit horizontally and it irritates me because I always want the biggest one from the bottom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now