Teapot Cleaning

(19 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Thu 30-Jun-16 10:35:55

My teapot has a badly stained interior. Not helped by a teabag left to mould inside ( glares at dd2).
How can I clean it and disinfect it without making it smell and tainting the tea ?
Thanks in advance.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 30-Jun-16 10:38:46

Soak it in bicarb and boiling water for 20 mins then it should all come away with a brush or washing up sponge.

Penfold007 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:39:16

You could try putting it through the dishwasher (check its DW safe) if not soak the inside with a weak Milton solution or a denture cleaning tablet. Also great for fusty thermos flasks

Helenluvsrob Thu 30-Jun-16 10:42:44

steradent or bleach

hollyisalovelyname Thu 30-Jun-16 10:57:51

Thank you.
Not dishwasher safe.
Wouldn't bleach smell?

user1465823522 Thu 30-Jun-16 11:41:19

I don;t 'clean' either our teapot or coffee pot. I mean, i rinse them before and after use, but never 'clean' them.

Taste vs hygiene?

moggle Thu 30-Jun-16 11:47:18

I recently cleaned my stainless (haha) steel travel coffee mug by putting a teaspoon of bio washing powder and adding warm water to the top. Left it for a little while and all the tea and coffee stains inside came off easily - it looks brand new. Didn't leave any smell after I'd washed it with washing up liquid as normal. I was just this morning looking at my awful work tea mug and wondering if the same thing would work on ceramic, I don't see why it wouldn't, so I'd guess it'd work on a teapot too.

If you are concerned about the smell (though I didn't get any) can you test it on an old mug first?

BiddyPop Thu 30-Jun-16 11:53:29

I sometimes use some biological washing powder (liquid probably works fine too) - dissolve that in water, preferably hot, and leave to steep for a couple of hours. Wash well as normal.

Nowadays it's usually dishwasher if teapot can take it, but there is 1 that can't.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 30-Jun-16 12:02:21

Bleach it. It will come up lovely.

Then rinse thoroughly. Maybe do a few brews and tip out if you are worried about taste.

SlumdogMummy Thu 30-Jun-16 12:06:20

False teeth tablets grin My mum was given the tip by a friend for enamel sink but I use it for my favourite mugs.
Pop a tablet in and fill with hot water, leave and rinse/wipe.

BiddyPop Thu 30-Jun-16 12:08:40

A colleague at work used to clean out his mug roughly every 2 months with a pinch of the bicarb we kept in the fridge (to remove smells) - we only realized after almost 2 years why that coffee jar lid looked so much less full! But it did work (he would leave the bag in the mug for 10 minutes before drinking the tea, and have at least 4 mugs per day, so a good cleaning was needed that often!).

BluePitchFork Thu 30-Jun-16 12:10:50

I would put a tablespoon soda crystals (no smell/taste) and fill with boiling wated. scrub when cool enough.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 30-Jun-16 15:24:52

User -the reason I wanted to clean the teapot was some genius left a tea bag in it that went mouldy. Teapot not used everyday.

Penfold007 Thu 30-Jun-16 15:29:24

Milton or steradent won't leave any after taste but rinse well

pippinandtog Thu 30-Jun-16 16:32:50

Another one here for Milton solution, then wash as usual afterwards.

milkyface Thu 30-Jun-16 16:37:57

Stick some Milton in it and give it a good rinse would be my best suggestion!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 16:39:19

Bit of CIF would work.

nannybeach Fri 01-Jul-16 15:21:03

The baby sterilising tablets, with water, I have builders tea and it stains the cups!

monicaglenfield Fri 01-Jul-16 22:52:13

Hi,

To get rid of stains inside your teapot you need to use a nozzle cleaning brush. This brush will easily be able to get inside the teapot and scrub away any stains. As for disinfecting it you could pour some boiling water inside it and leave it for a couple of hours to get rid of any residue. You could use an actual cleaner but it depends if you want to use something with chemicals in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now