Greasy business shirts - not food, so why?

(7 Posts)
mummy2zni Tue 28-Jun-16 09:13:09

Hi, I can find plenty on www about how to remove grease stains from DHs business shirts but nothing on why they're getting greasy? Perhaps this is better on a health thread, I don't know. ..

So it goes like this - I wash DHs business shirts with only whites, hot wash, bio powder and a scoop of whitening stuff. When he goes to iron them (DH does all the ironing - I haven't touched an iron for years! Mind this about all he does but that's for another thread)... there is often a greasy mark at the front of his shirt at chest level. Having used a spray on stain remover (can't remember brand) on one shirt the fabric went all stiff and disintegrated!

It's def not food stains & the rest of the wash is perfectly fine, so what is it?

Would like to sort as fed up with having to rewash all the time and these aren't cheap shirts...

Any help appreciated smile

ShotsFired Fri 01-Jul-16 08:58:46

Could it be grease from the washing machine bearings?

I kept finding dark marks on whites (I guess they were on darks too, just invisible) and it turned out to be the bearings knackered. It had been making a right racket for months which I'd conveniently ignored - a symptom of bearing problems as the drum spins wonkily and thwacks into the casing.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 01-Jul-16 09:06:22

Is it definitely not food grease? Are the marks there when they go in the wash?
Is he a runner, could it be that nipple anti-chafe stuff?
Does he have eczema and use ointments there?

wowfudge Fri 01-Jul-16 20:38:19

Is it something on the ironing board?

mummy2zni Mon 04-Jul-16 13:21:03

Hi sorry for silence - didn't see any responses for ages and thought there was no answers out there...

Hope it's not the washing machine - it's only 1yr old! Also kids white shirts are fine and it's only ever in the one spot...

Not a runner and not eczema. I haven't noticed the marks before putting in the wash - tbh they're extremely subtle and I have to move the shirt around in the light before I can see what he's on about..

I'm going to try washing the iron board cover...

Thanks for your replies...

P1nkP0ppy Mon 04-Jul-16 13:23:29

Is there something on the car seat belt that's transferring onto his shirts?
DH managed to get car grease onto his seat belt and it was a sod to get off

mummy2zni Wed 06-Jul-16 22:05:50

Ah that's a good thought P1nk - as we've recently sold the car will keep an eye out if it stops! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now