Tips on how to keep bedding looking fresh ?

(18 Posts)
stirling Mon 27-Jun-16 16:05:12

Hello,

I've very stupidly acquired a huge collection of white bedsheets.. It's daft because a) I use Surcare which is non bio and barely cleans well - hence sheets retain that greyish tinge in the middle, any spots of blood (ds has eczema) doesn’t really come out and can't use another detergent due to eczema. And b) I don't iron the sheets. Duvet covers are a mishmash - an assortment from ikea and other places which always bunch up in the middle.

I'm ready to invest! All advice appreciated! Obviously I need to go for another colour sheet other than white - what do you suggest? Kids rooms are neutral colours. Repainting ds room soon - possibly pale gray.

Which sheets to buy that don't crinkle up to much? I'll never be able to discipline myself to iron bedding, no matter how much I want to.

Thanks

stirling Mon 27-Jun-16 16:07:50

Oh, forgot to also ask - which is better at staying put? A flat sheet or fitted? The sheets are always coming off the mattress within a day or two no matter how tight they're pulled down...

ChipInTheSugar Mon 27-Jun-16 16:10:46

Is your mattress too deep for normal fitted sheets? You can get deeper sheets which stay on better.

Believeitornot Mon 27-Jun-16 16:14:19

Yes to deeper fitted sheets.

I also use ecover laundry whitener which is good for sensitive skin.

How do you dry them? You could put them on ever so slightly damp

monicaglenfield Mon 27-Jun-16 20:53:58

You are currently using Suncare because your son has eczema and it doesn't clean very well. In that case i would give this alternative a try. It has been specifically designed for people with eczema and it's eco friendly and uses no harsh chemicals.

Thanks

soupmaker Mon 27-Jun-16 21:11:54

Dry on the line in sunshine. It's the only way with non-bio washing powder or liquid. To be honest I'd 'invest' in dark coloured sheets and multicoloured duvet covers for the kids from IKEA. Cheap, cheerful, and stains won't show.

GrubbyWindows Mon 27-Jun-16 22:15:51

The nappy science gang ran some proper tests and found Eco eggs (linked above) to be no different to washing in plain water (ie, no detergent). So try that before spending money on Eco eggs...

stirling Mon 27-Jun-16 22:37:08

Ok, thank you all for the replies and suggestions...

daisywhoopsie Mon 27-Jun-16 22:42:55

Sleep on the sofa.

Sorry, couldn't resist grin

Cloudhowe63 Mon 27-Jun-16 22:54:34

Be careful with dark dyes as a solution as they can seriously aggravate eczema. I'm almost certain that's what set off ds worst attack to date.

messalina Mon 27-Jun-16 22:57:52

The Romans would tread it down with their feet in fresh urine. Worth a try perhaps.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 27-Jun-16 23:02:26

I think that you're doomed, re fresh looking bedding. Sorry.

Are you using lots of emollients? If so, you'll eventually get that tell-tale yellowing. And the surcare won't shift it. So I'd say - sod it. Use cotton sheets, and replace with new ones should the staining bother you.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 27-Jun-16 23:03:22

Oh, and do maintenance washes etc in your machine, as I am sure that the emollients knacker the washing machine faster than usual.

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Mon 27-Jun-16 23:16:13

Daisywhoopsie grin

rabbit123 Mon 27-Jun-16 23:34:09

Non bio works better on long, hot washes. Try washing on a minimum 60 cottons wash, not a quick wash, and see if that helps. Line drying will help too

TrappedNerve Tue 28-Jun-16 13:05:50

I've just bought a bedcover thingy ( not sure of actual name of one ) like a throw but thick from asda, only reason was because it matches the new bedding I had bought which is called pretty polly. I do iron my bedding but after the first night it looks creased but once this is over the top it looks so neat.
Been looking for similar for dd and ds as they have single beds but have tons of bedding which loves to crease.
Asda have some really lovely bedding for all sizes and very reasonably priced and wash great.
The more patterned the better if trying to keep on longergrin

stirling Tue 28-Jun-16 14:58:56

Great suggestions, I was just about to order dark grey but maybe not if flares up eczema..trappednerve thanks for the idea about a throw...

nannybeach Sat 02-Jul-16 21:37:53

Fitted sheets, when I had my 4th child I finally gave up ironing them, yes really! I nice throw over your white, or dye them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now