cleaning a stained toilet?

(20 Posts)
TiredandGrumpy2014 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:48:55

Anyone have any tips for cleaning a horribly stained toilet? The staining is yellowish and below the water line. Have tried scrubbing with bleach but it doesn't help much. Can anyone help?

poshme Sat 25-Jun-16 19:55:47

Is it limescale? There are some fab tablets you chuck down if it is. Maybe harpic?

Newes Sat 25-Jun-16 19:59:19

Mix bicarbonate of soda and bleach together and leave for a few hours.

LemonRedwood Sat 25-Jun-16 20:00:10

Caustic soda

gamerchick Sat 25-Jun-16 20:03:51

Bleach is shit for cleaning.

Melt some denture tablets with a little water and make a paste. Scoop as much water out of the toilet as you can and smother. Leave for a few hours or overnight. Then scrub. Repeat if you want or just drop a couple of tablets down before you go to sleep. It'll come off.

Then don't let it build up again.

TiredandGrumpy2014 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:19:10

Thanks for the quick responses! I genuinely had not thought of scooping some water out first blushbut will try that.

RedMapleLeaf Sat 25-Jun-16 20:35:18

You might be able to plunge the water down, rather than have to scoop it out.

user1464934899 Mon 27-Jun-16 08:02:07

I would give Dirtbusters a try. This particular cleaner is a descaler but can also be used as a toilet cleaner. I've used it in the past and it's strong stuff so it should have no problem cleaning your stained toilet.

nannybeach Fri 01-Jul-16 15:23:00

White vinegar leave over night

Cyclewidow46 Sat 02-Jul-16 08:17:46

I read a similar thread on this subject a while ago. Somebody recommended a Harpic product that comes in tablet form in a black box. You drop the tablet into the loo and leave overnight (remember to leave a window open).
I bought some and it's fantastic. I had recently moved into a house with a badly stained toilet and this product completely removed all the horrible stains.
Def worth a try.

friedhappy Sat 02-Jul-16 19:40:40

I once moved in to a house with the most horrifically stained toilet and used Spirit of Salts from the chemist which I poured down and left overnight. It cleaned away the staining very well.

Ihatechoosingnames Sat 02-Jul-16 19:42:33

I know this thread is a few days old but I recommend harpic (the black bottle) and leave it as long as poss, then scrub it like mad with a loo brush. Worked like a charm when other stuff failed

Gooseysgirl Sun 03-Jul-16 00:31:38

Another vote for the Harpic that comes in the black bottle - the only thing that has worked for us.

Hidingtonothing Sun 03-Jul-16 00:35:57

Yep, Harpic Power (black bottle), ours were disgusting when we moved in because the house had been empty for months. Thick, brown limescale, chucked pretty much a full bottle of Harpic down before bed, left overnight and most of it was gone the next morning. Repeated the next night and they were sparkly by morning that time. They were particularly bad though, one treatment will probably do it in most cases.

foreverandalways Sun 03-Jul-16 00:46:03

Empty a bottle of Coke down the toilet, leave for a few minutes...rubber gloves and a cloth and scrub until clean....good luck

Mum2KSS Mon 04-Jul-16 12:10:41

forever I tried the coke down the toilet just before we were due to rip out a bathroom just to experiment - the coke stuck to all the stains and wouldn't come off and looked totally awful, does it work for you?? I tried full fat coke...

Hidingtonothing Mon 04-Jul-16 14:10:30

I tried coke on mine, used bottles of the stuff, don't think it made it any worse but it didn't work either.

Ifailed Mon 04-Jul-16 14:13:16

Harpic power plus tablets. Put two in initially and leave overnight.

Mum2KSS Mon 04-Jul-16 14:39:28

I've used the harpic power plus tablets in the past and they worked really well. (not great for the environment though)

dontcallmelen Tue 12-Jul-16 20:32:44

Thank you to whoever mentioned harpic in the black bottle, had limescale underneath the water line, no amount of scrubbing/bleach shifted it.
Used the harpic & completely gone😄.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now