Cleaning dog poop?!? HELP!

(10 Posts)
OliviaTJoyce Thu 16-Jun-16 07:31:23

So I got my first dog a couple of days ago (a lovely Jack Russell) and I seem to have a huge problem with cleaning after him. You see, he goes and poops everywhere! I currently train him where the toilet is, but until then I need some advice on how to clean all the feces. How do you clean it from the carpet?? And what about the park? Should I wait a bit before removing it or is it best to clear it out as soon as possible? What if there are traces on the rug?
I'm all over the place and I really don't know what to do... How do you take care of your dog and the house? Please help sad

NoahVale Thu 16-Jun-16 07:35:26

can you keep him with you at all times, take him out and train him to poo outside?
you need to get rid of the smell in the house otherwise he will think it is the toilet.
but you need not to use certain disinfectants because they trigger toilet response.
i would tie him up to you and take him out to poo

NoahVale Thu 16-Jun-16 07:35:57

outside, just pick it up with a poo bag. no problem

OliviaTJoyce Thu 16-Jun-16 07:52:02

How do I get rid of the smell, though? I tried cleaning the carpet with hot water and a fresh scented detergent, but there's still some bad scent left afterwards confused

NoahVale Thu 16-Jun-16 07:53:05

bicarb powder?

bulldogmum Thu 16-Jun-16 08:06:09

Simple solution make dog disinfectant that gets rid of the smell too.
If you have a rug not carpet I would lift it up until he's house trained.
You need to take him out once an hour or more if he's not picking up that the garden is the toilet area and really praise him when he goes. Jack Russell's are highly intelligent dogs so he should pick it up soon.
In park and garden just use a poo bag, pick it up and pop it in a bin.
How old is he? Can you keep him confined to non carpet rooms?
You could try puppy pads and newspaper by the garden door to encourage him to head that way.

monicaglenfield Fri 17-Jun-16 07:52:49

As for the rancid smell that lingers after you have cleaned the dog poo i would try an odour cleaner.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Fri 17-Jun-16 08:01:15

Vanish carpet cleaner is great for this.
Cleans and freshens the smell.

Also for a quick fix, I have dettol wipes to scrub the carpet after I pick up.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Fri 17-Jun-16 08:32:51

Also OP, if your dog is doing splodgy poos that are difficult to clean up, you might want to consider changing his food. They should be firm/easy to pick up so a drier food might help if that's the case.

What a lovely graphic thread this is!

OliviaTJoyce Fri 17-Jun-16 08:47:18

Thank you all for responding with such great advice. I will try out the techniques you've mentioned. Yesterday I spend half an hour browsing the web and looking for good ways of cleaning poo :D
I found a great article describing a long but effective process of cleaning and removing the odour. It was quite slow but did the job. However, it will be great if I can manage to clean everything faster, so I will try out your ways
..or hopefully not :D

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now