Keeping wooden floor clean

(9 Posts)
SilverHoney Sun 12-Jun-16 18:54:01

We've just swapped the mankey old carpet in our open plan living / dining room for a wooden floor. We've 2 cats, a 1 year old and another on the way.

I have a Hoover, broom and steam mop but what's the best device for keeping a wooden floor clean? There seems to be annoying bits left after I sweep.

I'm thinking I need some sort of swiffer thing??

AveEldon Sun 12-Jun-16 18:57:04

I don't sweep
I vacuum and then mop with a big flat mop like this www.vileda.com/uk/easywring-ultramat-flat-spin-mop.html

skivvywoman Sun 12-Jun-16 20:30:11

Defo Hoover and mop steam cleaner can warp wood

ChablisTyrant Sun 12-Jun-16 20:31:58

Depends how the wood is sealed. Is it varnish or oiled? Ours are oiled so we just Hoover and mop very minimally when needed. It reduces the amount of oiling we have to do.

loumayfield Mon 13-Jun-16 07:46:19

I would get yourself some Astonish Wooden Floor Polish with a mop. This stuff will help clean your wooden floor right up, leaving no streaks or marks after cleaning:-)

goingtotown Wed 15-Jun-16 21:24:55

Bona Spray Mop from B&Q keeps my wooden floors in new condition & the cleaning solution lasts for ages.

user1478322768 Sat 05-Nov-16 05:25:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GaryGilmoresEyes Sat 05-Nov-16 08:47:31

I used to use tea to wash my wood floors. Just pop a few teabags into warm water in the bucket.

BeBopTalulah Sat 05-Nov-16 18:30:49

I hoover and use Method almond wood floor cleaner. It's a great price on Amazon and smells amazing.

Don't use a steam mop! And don't allow the floor to become soaking wet either. After an incident with our boiler leaking I have seen first hand what happens to wood that is soaked. Luckily it's in a cupboard but is completely warped and would need replaced if it was elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now