How to keep new washing machine in pristine condition?

(9 Posts)
EmGee Thu 09-Jun-16 13:55:46

I already use powder straight into the drum rather than in the drawer (thanks MN!).

What else can I do? Am thinking:

*Monthly hot wash with vinegar/soda crystals
*Clean out the seal (with bleach?) to prevent it getting gunky

Where I live the water is awful, really hard. Have to descale the kettle every few days (even using filtered water) so...

*Anti-limescale tablets with every wash

Any other top tips?

C2H5OH Thu 09-Jun-16 14:01:22

Don't use bleach on the seal!
Just clean it according to the instructions in the manual. All machines are different.

Also make sure you do a hot wash regularly, at least once a month.

Sitoff Fri 10-Jun-16 21:29:35

I find that wiping the inside of the door, drawer and pool of water that gathers in the seal together with using powder has prevent any limescale or mould build up.

ChishandFips33 Fri 10-Jun-16 23:58:42

I leave the door and drawer open after each wash to dry/air out

Iknownuffink Sat 11-Jun-16 00:03:45

Leave the door and drawer ajar when not in use.

Locate and clean the filter regularly.

Use vinegar as a fabric softener.

QueenJackie Tue 21-Jun-16 12:33:10

What??! You put the powder in the drum?!

Does it not cause clumps and stick on the clothes? Will try this on my next wash!

lolapierce Tue 21-Jun-16 17:14:04

Use a deep clean washing machine cleaner every once a month. This will kill any bacteria build up inside your washing machine and get rid of any odours. Also take the tray out where you put your washing powder and liquid and give that a good clean every couple of months because a fair amount of gunk builds up in there over time. That should keep your washing machine in tip top condition.

Thanks

EmGee Thu 23-Jun-16 10:54:00

Queen no, never had that problem. I have a sparkly clean drawer too smile

Put it in first and then load the washing on top. I sometimes forget and just bung in the powder on top of the clothes.

HooseRice Thu 23-Jun-16 11:23:38

I use non biological powder and used to put it straight into the drum. This resulted in some dark clothes having bleach stains on them.

If you want to keep it pristine, use the launderette gringrin

My friend, who isn't much of a cook anyway, got a state of the art new kitchen installed. She doesn't use the hob or very fancy oven, at all, to keep them nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now