Can any one recommend me an Iron that actually gets really hot?

(6 Posts)
unlucky83 Thu 02-Jun-16 22:16:58

So I don't regularly iron ...I don't want a big steam generator thing to store I want a basic steam iron -but one that has some ummph -actually gets hot.
I had an absolutely ancient one (can't remember the make) and when it died the only thing I wanted was one that didn't drip water at a temp too low to steam. I got a mid range one (£30ish) Russell Hobbs 2200W ...and it is rubbish.
It doesn't seem to get really hot (you could leave it sitting on something and it wouldn't scorch it) I accidentally ironed paper with it on high (creased DC school work - thought I'd turned it down!) it was fine...only just worked. And it doesn't steam unless the temp is nearly max and that isn't working as well as when it was new. But it is the lack of real heat that I find most frustrating.
I have washable cotton sofa covers - they crease really badly and you can't tumble dry them. I try and straighten the worse of the creases out before hanging them out - but even on full power and steam boost I was struggling to get even the worse creases out - took a water spray and a good 20-30 min, going over the same spot repeatedly to do each cushion cover badly. Last time I thought I'd try ironing them really damp - basically dry them smooth with the iron and then let them air - my iron wouldn't even do that well...didn't dry them or get the creases out.
(I am of an age that as a teen - when tumble dryers were rare - I used to dry my favourite jeans out with an iron then hairdryer...I know how well the iron used to work!)
So have irons been changed so they no longer get hot enough to scorch or something? I would love them to advertise a max heat but I can't see that anywhere...
All I can think is to go for a higher wattage - but the highest one I have seen is 2800w - which doesn't seem that big a jump from 2200w?
Alternatively I guess I could get an old flat iron from an antique stall and heat it on the gas ring grin...

wowfudge Fri 03-Jun-16 09:52:07

I think you might find your iron has a cut off device to stop it from scorching and potentially starting a fire if left unattended. Have you cleaned the iron and do you leave water in it between uses?

To me irons seem to be a lot lighter then they used to be - the weight of the sole plate makes a difference too.

I hardly ever iron and tbh have started 'outsourcing' the bits I used to do. It's my least favourite household chore and takes too long to do properly!

unlucky83 Fri 03-Jun-16 10:06:03

Thanks - I have cleaned it and I do empty it out - like you I rarely use it ...but not getting very hot has been a problem since new. I know my old iron I rarely had it on max - on this one I can iron polycotton on Max!
Just wondering if you can get one that doesn't cut out ....does get hot.

PolterGoose Fri 03-Jun-16 10:06:32

Have you tried a non-steam dry iron? I think they get hotter. We've got a Rowenta and I much prefer them to steam irons. Mostly iron from barely damp or use a wrung out wet tea towel for pressing.

unlucky83 Fri 03-Jun-16 11:15:52

Looking at Amazon 1 star reviews of a couple of dry irons the biggest complaint is that they don't get hot enough!
They were all lower wattage than steam irons I've looked at so far ...but I'll carry on looking at them...

PolterGoose Fri 03-Jun-16 12:07:14

Our one is quite old, a Rowenta LA58, I've no idea what the newer ones are like, but dry irons seem more popular in the USA so it might be worth having a look at US stores?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now