What are good reliable brands of fridge freezers?

(11 Posts)
SquirrelFruitandNutkin Thu 02-Jun-16 21:07:33

Our fridge freezer has crack in the plastic on the inside (think dh dropped a beer bottle). I have no idea if it's knackered the fridge - any advice on that would be much appreciated!

So... If I do need to replace it what brands should I be looking at? The current one is a Bosch and has done 11 years so happy to look at them again.

SquidgeyMidgey Sun 05-Jun-16 08:13:42

Our current ff is a beko which we bought 13 years ago for £150 on clearance from Currys. It's never missed a beat but I don't think their newer stuff is the same. We're about to have a new kitchen and we're having an integrated Bosch ff after reading what feels like billions of reviews online.

concertplayer Sun 05-Jun-16 10:22:33

Bosch J Lewis Samsung Liebherr are all good brands but it always comes
down to the model.
You could pop into your local library and look at Which back copies.
You need to look at the running costs : minimum A+ but try to get A++
as the appliance is on 24/7.
You will be asked to pay more for features eg water dispenser, warning
lights for when door is left open etc frost free.You need to ask if you really need all these add-ons Basically you want something that chills/freezes quickly and maintains even temperature.
Check the light position -will need to be changed possibly in the future
and how easy it is to get the shelves out for cleaning etc
I would strongly recommend getting one with the fridge at the top- no more bending down or peering at stuff at the back -bliss!

cozietoesie Sun 05-Jun-16 13:43:34

Where is the crack and how bad is it? Any chance of a quick picture?

rabbit123 Sun 05-Jun-16 14:31:09

Lec fridges last forever and are still made in the UK

GreenMarkerPen Sun 05-Jun-16 14:37:26

bosch aeg neff
look at the energy rating as over 10 or so years the elec cost are relevant.

cozietoesie Sun 05-Jun-16 16:33:39

I like fridge freezers that have the freezer at the bottom and - these days - I like them to be frost free. (I became tired of defrosting them.) I like Bosch, mainly for their good internal layout as well as the features above.

NanTheWiser Sun 05-Jun-16 17:06:29

I bought a Liebherr f/f about 6 years ago, mainly because I needed one 55cms wide, and wanted more than 2 shelves in the fridge. It seems to be a good make, and I've been very pleased with it. John Lewis stock them.

DramaAlpaca Sun 05-Jun-16 17:09:31

I've got a 28 year old Zanussi that is still going strong.

It has a crack in the interior plastic, but I've put some tape over it and it seems to be fine.

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Sun 05-Jun-16 18:56:18

Thanks all!

The crack is at the bottom on the edge just where it meets the top of the seal when the door shuts iyswim.

Dh is adamant that it will be fine. that's his default response for everything

FrikkaDilla Sun 05-Jun-16 18:59:09

I think, as with most things, you get what you pay for. If you can afford a Bosch, AEG or any of the many other good names, then go for it.

You will take a chance with any of the cheaper ones. Might be worth your while but it's your decision/choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now